Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 25 August 2008 at 2:13pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "When did "Team India" start losing?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

chal_phek_mat

chal_phek_mat

Posted: 25 August 2008 at 3:48pm | IP Logged
I dont think we are losing as a team sport, yes we are losing on the hockey front, but that is due to our organization failure to adapt to the Astro-turf and the regional selection processes

Cricket I think we are doing relatively well as compared to any other time, just we have to deal with perhaps the best dynasties of cricket at the time in Australia, but we have been playing catch-up with them

Another team sport the doubles in Tennis has been our forte, Bhupati/Paes and Krishan/Amritraj's before that have been shining examples.

Football/Basketball we have never been good at and it takes time and effort to build those programs and we dont have that time, patience and financial resources to do that.

I think we should stop looking for faults and follow the chinese examples

concentrate on sports where other nations dont really spend money or effort and go get those easy pickenings. Build our sports programmes and get outselves on a roll after that

I think 2007-2008 has been a great year for us till date as compared to any in the past whether it be team or individual sports, we should build on the success rather than over-analyzing what we are missing

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 25 August 2008 at 7:11pm | IP Logged

jagdu

IF-Dazzler

jagdu

Posted: 26 August 2008 at 1:46pm | IP Logged
Gauri,
I think that Athletics is not a good paying sport, and most of Olympics is about Athletics and Track and Field.
Vs. a heavyweight boxer/basketball/football/baseball/tennis/Golf, okay, okay Cricket star how much does a gymnast, a swimmer or any individual make? A cyclist or swimmer, wrestler, boxer or shooter may get fame once an year, and the monetory compensation is not much.

I think for India the solution you have said it well. Develop a team in every discipline an send them to competitions like the succesful nations do. Example develop 4 female tennis players and send them to competitions around the world.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 26 August 2008 at 9:50pm | IP Logged
I think India is the only country where cricket is over rated.

Look at not just the fame but endorsements and monetary compensation these people got - Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps, Nastya Luikin, Kerri Walsh and Misty May. Look at the fame Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastian got in a country that does not even care for soccer.

I think India's lack of success in sports whether individual or team attributes to
- Lack of infrastructure
- Lack of training
- Not adapting to the speed and change of the sports

We are gaining grounds in individual sports because it is easy to invest in and train one person, but difficult for a team. Sports like boxing and wrestling do not need expensive equipment or grounds. Sports like hockey need quality equipment and playing conditions.

I also thinks when it comes to teams India is torn between respect for seniors and tradition, versus youth and modernization. We face the same dilemma in cricket as in other sports. In a more individual game like tennis a faster stronger player immediately weeds out the older slower ones no questions asked. How do you weed out the weeds in a team without raising a ruckus?

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 27 August 2008 at 7:55am | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 27 August 2008 at 7:58am | IP Logged

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 31 August 2008 at 2:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I think India is the only country where cricket is over rated.

Look at not just the fame but endorsements and monetary compensation these people got - Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps, Nastya Luikin, Kerri Walsh and Misty May. Look at the fame Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastian got in a country that does not even care for soccer.

I think India's lack of success in sports whether individual or team attributes to
- Lack of infrastructure
- Lack of training
- Not adapting to the speed and change of the sports

We are gaining grounds in individual sports because it is easy to invest in and train one person, but difficult for a team. Sports like boxing and wrestling do not need expensive equipment or grounds. Sports like hockey need quality equipment and playing conditions.

I also thinks when it comes to teams India is torn between respect for seniors and tradition, versus youth and modernization. We face the same dilemma in cricket as in other sports. In a more individual game like tennis a faster stronger player immediately weeds out the older slower ones no questions asked. How do you weed out the weeds in a team without raising a ruckus?
@bold black - great point RTH!

Re:topic

So if we had bagged a gold in football would it assert we exhale in team events and why are we failing at individual level? It's a overall failure (bas 3 medals, a success) in olympics irrespective individual or team events.. I agree with RTH@ red bold, fpossible reasons for failure.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top