Debate Mansion

When did "Team India" start losing?

Posted: 15 years ago
Three medals, all in individual sports.  Does India lack "Team Spirit"? 

Making India a great sporting nation
24 Aug 2008, 0032 hrs IST, Avijit Ghosh,TNN

Pervez Musharraf quit his job; Mayawati announced that she has a successor; Indian batsmen failed to handle Sri Lankan spin; and it was a very wet Delhi summer - plenty of unlikely things happened in and around India in recent weeks. But every sports lover would admit that nothing was more unexpected than India winning three medals at the Beijing Olympics.

But beyond the euphoria, an interesting pattern is emerging from these success stories. There's something common in the triumphs of richie-rich shooter Abhinav Bindra (gold), lower middle-class boxer Vijender Kumar (bronze) and underprivileged wrestler Sushil Kumar (bronze). All these medals have come in individual sports. In fact, India didn't even qualify for a single team sport such as hockey, football or basketball at Beijing.

It wasn't always like this. Cynics always regarded India's participation in the world's biggest sporting spectacle as nothing more a waste of tax-payers' money, an excuse for obese sports officials to enjoy a free fortnight in exotic cities. There was, however, a glorious exception: men's hockey. In fact, though India played with distinction in Olympics football in 1948, 1956 (who would believe India finished fourth at Melbourne?) and 1960 and was good enough to be selected in men's basketball in 1980 Moscow Olympics, for a majority across the world, hockey was synonymous with India in the world's grandest sports gathering.

There were reasons for that. Football was the first game that gave a fillip to nationalism when barefoot Mohun Bagan players defeated East Yorkshire Regiment 2-1 to win the IFA Shield in 1911. No Indian club had beaten a European team before. If that triumph blew away the shibboleth of European racial superiority in football, then India's international success in hockey raised people's self-belief and pride. From 1928 in Amsterdam, when India won its first Olympic gold in hockey, to 1960 in Rome, when India lost an Olympic hockey game for the first time, there was no reason to dispute that.

And though India's global supremacy was open to question after that defeat, hockey continued to be the emotional string that tugged at nation's hearts. India's last medal came in the boycott-hit 1980 Moscow Olympics. And yet national curiosity has never faltered in the years that followed. Every Olympic preview primarily centred around the question: "Can India win a gold this time?"

In Beijing, though, the umbilical cord was cut. For the first time, India failed to qualify for the Olympics in men's hockey. The disappointment, though, has been overcome by winning medals in shooting, wrestling and boxing. That's not all. At least two more boxers (Akhil Kumar and Jitender Kumar), one wrestler (Yogeshwar Dutt), a badminton player (Saina Nehwal) and the men's tennis double pair (Paes-Bhupathi) came pretty close to standing on the medal winner's podium. With a bit of luck, it could have ended with a six-medal haul in Beijing.

The success has also raised an interesting question: Why are we doing so well in individual disciplines and falling by the wayside in team sports?

Olympian Gurbachan Singh Randhawa feels that to become a champion in any team sport, one has to create a pool of 16 top players. "That's a far more difficult task than training five individual performers and also relatively less expensive. The success of the three individual medal winners in Beijing will spur more sportspersons to take up these disciplines. The future of individual sports in brighter than ever," says Randhawa, who finished fifth in 110m hurdles in 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

Former international hockey player Ashok Kumar too admits that sportspersons are veering towards individual games such as
boxing, shooting or tennis. "In individual events, everything depends on your own talent and dedication," he says, "but in team games, a single, brilliant individual cannot lift his entire side. Even Dhyanchand, the greatest hockey player ever, once said, I am what I am because of my teammates," says Kumar, Dhyanchand's son.

Individual brilliance has its limitations in team games. Liberia's striker George Weah won the world
footballer of the year award in 1995 but never managed to make his strife-torn country even qualify for the World Cup finals.

Kumar, who had scored the winning goal in India's 1975 World Cup triumph, also points out that fewer youngsters are taking to
hockey and the chances of producing potentially quality players is dwindling. "When lakhs play the game, you get a few hundred classy players. But when only a few thousands are playing the game, how can you get the same number of quality players?"

Adman Santosh Desai, who also monitors social trends, feels that what's happening at the shooting range and in the
boxing ring has its roots in the larger attitudinal changes brought about by liberalisation. Says Desai, CEO, Future Brands, "As a people, Indians are more individual-centred now than in the pre-liberalisation era and this is mirrored in the success of sportsmen in individual events."

The bottomline, though, is that team events arouse more emotions in more people. While an individual triumph becomes a matter of national pride, it is team triumphs that spark off countrywide, all-night celebrations. Which is why shooter Manavjit Singh says that one must continue to promote team sports that are enjoyed by the masses in India. "At the same time, we should also pay special attention to individual medal-winning prospects," says Manavjit, who struck gold in the 2006 world shooting championship.

Simply put, going solo is the mood of the moment but only a balance of success in both team events and individual disciplines can make India a great sporting nation.

There are some explanations provided in the article.  Still, I would like to hear IFian's/DMer's views on why did we slip from winning as a Team (example - Hockey) while becoming successful on individual level? Edited by Gauri_3 - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chal_phek_mat thumbnail
I dont think we are losing as a team sport, yes we are losing on the hockey front, but that is due to our organization failure to adapt to the Astro-turf and the regional selection processes

Cricket I think we are doing relatively well as compared to any other time, just we have to deal with perhaps the best dynasties of cricket at the time in Australia, but we have been playing catch-up with them

Another team sport the doubles in Tennis has been our forte, Bhupati/Paes and Krishan/Amritraj's before that have been shining examples.

Football/Basketball we have never been good at and it takes time and effort to build those programs and we dont have that time, patience and financial resources to do that.

I think we should stop looking for faults and follow the chinese examples

concentrate on sports where other nations dont really spend money or effort and go get those easy pickenings. Build our sports programmes and get outselves on a roll after that

I think 2007-2008 has been a great year for us till date as compared to any in the past whether it be team or individual sports, we should build on the success rather than over-analyzing what we are missing
Originally posted by: chal_phek_mat

I dont think we are losing as a team sport, yes we are losing on the hockey front, but that is due to our organization failure to adapt to the Astro-turf and the regional selection processes

True.  With you here on bolded part.  Whatever be the reason,  the fact is that we are not winning any team sports in olympics of late. 

Cricket I think we are doing relatively well as compared to any other time, just we have to deal with perhaps the best dynasties of cricket at the time in Australia, but we have been playing catch-up with them

Again, I agree with you here but cricket is not played in Olympics. 

Another team sport the doubles in Tennis has been our forte, Bhupati/Paes and Krishan/Amritraj's before that have been shining examples.

Yes, there has been some good examples but the success is not consistent. 

Football/Basketball we have never been good at and it takes time and effort to build those programs and we dont have that time, patience and financial resources to do that.

I think time is there.  We lack patience though and financial resources are not allocated efficiently anyways.  When there's a will, there's a way.  We have been lacking that will to bring together and motivate a group of 16-20 people out of which the best 10-11 play.  As pointed out in the article as well, it's far more easier to manage individuals and keep them focused than a group of 16-20 people.

I think we should stop looking for faults and follow the chinese examples

No no. not looking at faults.  I am actually very proud of our medalists this year.  However, I can't help wondering why we keep slipping on other fields where we have been consistently good or can be better.

concentrate on sports where other nations dont really spend money or effort and go get those easy pickenings. Build our sports programmes and get outselves on a roll after that

Makes perfect sense.  Also pick those sports where the chances of winning medals are plenty like swimming.  We need a strategy that is focused towards acing the sports we pick to participate in rather than what pleases our politicians and is interfered by them unnecessarily.

I think 2007-2008 has been a great year for us till date as compared to any in the past whether it be team or individual sports, we should build on the success rather than over-analyzing what we are missing
With you on the bolded part.  However, if we do not introspect on failures where we used to be extremely successful before, we wouldn't be able to give our best in next 4 years (short term planing) and next 8-12 years (long term planning).  Strategy is all about capitalizing on your strengths and turn them into niches along with  recognizing your weaknesses and working on them to to turn them into your strengths.  Introspection, at some point, is inevitable.

Thanks for the response, CPM.  Always a pleasure reading you.
Edited by Gauri_3 - 15 years ago
jagdu thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Gauri,
I think that Athletics is not a good paying sport, and most of Olympics is about Athletics and Track and Field.
Vs. a heavyweight boxer/basketball/football/baseball/tennis/Golf, okay, okay Cricket star how much does a gymnast, a swimmer or any individual make? A cyclist or swimmer, wrestler, boxer or shooter may get fame once an year, and the monetory compensation is not much.

I think for India the solution you have said it well. Develop a team in every discipline an send them to competitions like the succesful nations do. Example develop 4 female tennis players and send them to competitions around the world.

I think India is the only country where cricket is over rated.

Look at not just the fame but endorsements and monetary compensation these people got - Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps, Nastya Luikin, Kerri Walsh and Misty May. Look at the fame Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastian got in a country that does not even care for soccer.

I think India's lack of success in sports whether individual or team attributes to
- Lack of infrastructure
- Lack of training
- Not adapting to the speed and change of the sports

We are gaining grounds in individual sports because it is easy to invest in and train one person, but difficult for a team. Sports like boxing and wrestling do not need expensive equipment or grounds. Sports like hockey need quality equipment and playing conditions.

I also thinks when it comes to teams India is torn between respect for seniors and tradition, versus youth and modernization. We face the same dilemma in cricket as in other sports. In a more individual game like tennis a faster stronger player immediately weeds out the older slower ones no questions asked. How do you weed out the weeds in a team without raising a ruckus?
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Look at not just the fame but endorsements and monetary compensation these people got - Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps, Nastya Luikin, Kerri Walsh and Misty May. Look at the fame Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastian got in a country that does not even care for soccer.

I think India's lack of success in sports whether individual or team attributes to
- Lack of infrastructure
- Lack of training

We are gaining grounds in individual sports because it is easy to invest in and train one person, but difficult for a team. Sports like boxing and wrestling do not need expensive equipment or grounds. Sports like hockey need quality equipment and playing conditions.

I also thinks when it comes to teams India is torn between respect for seniors and tradition, versus youth and modernization. We face the same dilemma in cricket as in other sports. In a more individual game like tennis a faster stronger player immediately weeds out the older slower ones no questions asked. How do you weed out the weeds in a team without raising a ruckus?

Excellent point.  I was also thinking about regionalism - it also plays a part in causing friction when different people from different regions get together as a team.  On top of all that, the political interference.  Hamarey minister saab key chaha key mama ki bua key pati key bhai ka beta hai.  Issey toh lena hee padeyga team mein!!! 
Originally posted by: jagdu

Gauri,

I think that Athletics is not a good paying sport, and most of Olympics is about Athletics and Track and Field.

Vs. a heavyweight boxer/basketball/football/baseball/tennis/Golf, okay, okay Cricket star how much does a gymnast, a swimmer or any individual make? A cyclist or swimmer, wrestler, boxer or shooter may get fame once an year, and the monetory compensation is not much.

Agreed.  It is not good paying sport.  That's why goverenment needs to pitch in to ensure good athletes can focus on their skills w/o worrying about the daily ration-pani bill.  Once we see more successes at Olympics, endorsers may start focusing on these new heros as well and things might change gradually.

I think for India the solution you have said it well. Develop a team in every discipline an send them to competitions like the succesful nations do. Example develop 4 female tennis players and send them to competitions around the world.

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

- Lack of infrastructure
- Lack of training

@bold black - great point RTH!

Re:topic

So if we had bagged a gold in football would it assert we exhale in team events and why are we failing at individual level? It's a overall failure (bas 3 medals, a success) in olympics irrespective individual or team events.. I agree with RTH@ red bold, fpossible reasons for failure.
jagdu thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Oops Gauri,
I just got it. Look at what's happening with the nuclear deal. After an year of jostling for 1.1 billion people the issue boils down to a vote where the honorable cpm lost. Now it comes to light that the PM did not inform the nation of a letter passed by George Bush under the table.
This is how our sports administraion is too. They promise roses and a cozy life. Somewhere there is a catch, and our poor sporttsmen do not know about it yet.
How does it work here? Every educational institution starting from day care to college has large playgrounds. Competitions are held. Be it football, soccer, baseball, basketball, tennis or athletics under fair coaches and umpires with no action replays. From the grassroots level up there is a system of developing sporttspeople. Is'nt that how it is supposed to work?
And yes, the other thing is honesty. That needs to be a very important part of character.

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=941252&PID=18112052&#18112052
Edited by jagdu - 15 years ago