Advice Corner

Mumbai FIRST time - Page 2

dipz22 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

ohhh ur bf lives in mumbai! n im surprised he's not saying anything abt picking u up or anything. Well it'll be best if ur bf comes to pick u up..cuz it'll make ur life wayyy easier! u shud really plan everything wit ur bf. Also yeaaa go before december..cuz tickets r sooooooo expensive during dat time..like asliguy said. go in november or so. it'll save u alottttttttt of money! lol..n e ways..i really hope dis trip works out for u! i dont knw y im soo excited for u..lol..i dont even knw u! but its all soo exciting.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

xsweetbabygyalx thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: dipz22

ohhh ur bf lives in mumbai! n im surprised he's not saying anything abt picking u up or anything. Well it'll be best if ur bf comes to pick u up..cuz it'll make ur life wayyy easier! u shud really plan everything wit ur bf. Also yeaaa go before december..cuz tickets r sooooooo expensive during dat time..like asliguy said. go in november or so. it'll save u alottttttttt of money! lol..n e ways..i really hope dis trip works out for u! i dont knw y im soo excited for u..lol..i dont even knw u! but its all soo exciting.

yea same here, i'm also surprised that he's not saying anything and I don't know for sure if he's going to or not but I think I should talk to him more about it and i will.....i know, that's what I'm thinking as well - for him to pick me up....that's what i'm planning to do - plan everything with my bf.....I just wanted to get a little bit of background on Mumbai for my own knowledge just in case....i always like to know everything beforehand.....he usually has surprises planned for me, he's usually quiet and works on his surprises for me....since he didn't say anything, that's why I got worried and asked for an advice here.....I think he might pick me up because whenever I talked about working in the same company as he is, he gets really excited.

ok I won't go in December than.....I think you're probably excited for me because it's going to be my first trip to India and maybe it's because I'm going to visit India.
hazel94 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
i was born in mumbai  but now i stay in uk nd im only 14 so cant go on my own lol
if u book in advance lyk 3/4 months before it will be cheap
december is the best tym or march april coz its not boiling hot then so yh if u go in dec it will be chritmas so will be much more fun cozz of celebrations nd everyfin
u will luv it its just gr8 the trafic if the problem but dont go on buses or trains coz they r way crowded u wont be able to get out so avoid them lol
if u wanna go shopping so to malad the shopping mall is called inorbit its huge i think 1 of the biggest in asia
nd if not there there andheri west is gd place lots of shopping malls in straight lines nd cinemas in every shopping mall its gr8
there is a cinema called red lounge only 2/3 in mumbai coz they r lyk reallii cool they have recliner seats instead of normal 1's nd not that expensive either
havr a gr8 tym enjoy
You will enjoy Mumbai, I have been there for !0 days a couple of weeks ago. Everything great, The airport is so horrible and people very unhelpful. Secondly the traffic is Horrendous, Donot ask anyone any directions, there will be 10 people around you but wont get any help. Be careful with beggars and hawkers will make your life a hell. otherwise welcome to india.
legallyzoya thumbnail
Hey...Indias a great palc.e..but Mumbai...maybe coem as a bit fo i dunno...it may sem different..its kidn fo dirty..but a gr8 palce\..
msot fo the people r really nice...but be careful...
are you traveling alone?
do u have anyone in Mumbai?
if u do....ask them to pick u up..or go straight to ur hotel....ther er many cabs outside....or get help frm the reception...
OR....perhaps...find a cyber cafe....n come to IF..
we'll tell u what to do next...LOL...
legallyzoya thumbnail
Ohh ur Boyfriends in Mumbai...then ask him to pick you up...no confusions after tht..
BUT WHY isnt he tellin u anything?
just e careful....no offence meant....
-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
I hope you have a lot of during your trip to India!!

I have never been to India so I can't really help.

-Mahi

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Since you're travelling alone and it's still not decided that your bf will pick you up or not, just book a hotel before you leave. Near the international terminal there are lots of hotels like Leela, Le Meridian, Intercontinental, etc. Nearby you can also opt for Mirador, Kohinoor, Bawa International, etc. If you are arriving late at night, go for a hotel that's near the airport or else if you decide to stay in some other place then choose a hotel that has airport pick up facility. You can stay there for a day or two, before your bf picks you up or you get to choose another cheaper hotel. Don't depend on taxi drivers or agents to look for a hotel on arrival as that way you'll get the worst deal possible.
Since you asked about renting an apartment, it depends on for how much time you'll be staying here and if there's anyone like a relative or somebody of yours who stays here in Mumbai. Unmarried girls can find it pretty tough to get an apartment here in Mumbai to be very frank. You can find one, but it'll take time. Another thing to consider is that, you'll have to pay 1-2 months rent as brokerage and also about 10 months rent as deposit. And depending on the locality that you choose for your stay, a 1 BHK can cost you anywhere between Rs.10,000-20,000 p.m. (If you stay near the airport, i.e. Andheri (E) it'll be atleast Rs.15,000). So, as you can see for short stays renting an apartment can also be pretty costly.
It's not advisable to carry too much of electronic goods as the customs process in India is not very transparent to put it mildly. However, carrying the normal stuff like a laptop, digicam, cell phone, etc. is not a problem.
At the international terminal local taxi and pre-paid taxi of Hertz and Avis are available (no autos in international terminal). If you choose local taxi, make sure that they agree to travel by the meter and not some fare acc. to their wish.

Well that's all that comes to my mind at present. If you want to know something more, feel free to ask. 😊
This content was originally posted by: zoya24

Ohh ur Boyfriends in Mumbai...then ask him to pick you up...no confusions after tht..
BUT WHY isnt he tellin u anything?
just e careful....no offence meant....

i think he's proably just waiting for me to tell him more information about my flight and stuff OR may be he did tell me that he will pick me up but in a different way.........he gets me really confused everytime he does that -> saying what he wants to say but always in a different way........when i recently talked to him about the process of meeting each other in person, it sounded that he would pick me up..........i heard that tickets for Mumbai are expensive in December and Christmas so I probably would go in November, January or February.........second, no offense taken.

I'm trying to be careful as much as I can, that's why I asked this question here......lol.
This content was originally posted by: souro

Since you're travelling alone and it's still not decided that your bf will pick you up or not, just book a hotel before you leave. Near the international terminal there are lots of hotels like Leela, Le Meridian, Intercontinental, etc. Nearby you can also opt for Mirador, Kohinoor, Bawa International, etc. If you are arriving late at night, go for a hotel that's near the airport or else if you decide to stay in some other place then choose a hotel that has airport pick up facility. You can stay there for a day or two, before your bf picks you up or you get to choose another cheaper hotel. Don't depend on taxi drivers or agents to look for a hotel on arrival as that way you'll get the worst deal possible.

Since you asked about renting an apartment, it depends on for how much time you'll be staying here and if there's anyone like a relative or somebody of yours who stays here in Mumbai. Unmarried girls can find it pretty tough to get an apartment here in Mumbai to be very frank. You can find one, but it'll take time. Another thing to consider is that, you'll have to pay 1-2 months rent as brokerage and also about 10 months rent as deposit. And depending on the locality that you choose for your stay, a 1 BHK can cost you anywhere between Rs.10,000-20,000 p.m. (If you stay near the airport, i.e. Andheri (E) it'll be atleast Rs.15,000). So, as you can see for short stays renting an apartment can also be pretty costly.
It's not advisable to carry too much of electronic goods as the customs process in India is not very transparent to put it mildly. However, carrying the normal stuff like a laptop, digicam, cell phone, etc. is not a problem.
At the international terminal local taxi and pre-paid taxi of Hertz and Avis are available (no autos in international terminal). If you choose local taxi, make sure that they agree to travel by the meter and not some fare acc. to their wish.

Well that's all that comes to my mind at present. If you want to know something more, feel free to ask. 😊

Thank you for a wonderful advice........i will definitely let you know when I want to know more information........your suggestion and advice was very helpful......thank you soo much =)