Kuselan Fiasco- A postmortem

Aahaana Global Moderator
Aahaana
Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged
Kuselan Fiasco- A postmortem
By Moviebuzz  | Friday, 08 August , 2008, 13:18

Has Rajinikanth's Kuselan bombed at the box-office? The distributors of the film have approached Pyramid Saimira who marketed it for a reimbursement of their losses. The film which released on August 1 carried mixed reports from day one. By day two of its release, in NSC area the number of shows was reduced, as it was released in too many screens. The fans did not like the film, and the family audience kept away due to vulgar comedy scene of Vadivel. The film just did not take an opening that one associates with a Rajinikanth film. On Monday, the film crashed by more than 50 percent. At the end of the first week in multiplexes like Sathyam cinemas, it was moved from bigger screen to smaller ones, and number of shows reduced. No Rajinikanth films in modern times have taken such a poor opening. The trade blames Rajinikanth, director P.Vasu and producers K.Balachandar, G.P Vijayakumar, and Aswini Dutt for this fiasco. Vasu diluted the essential spirit of the original (Katha Parayumbol) by introducing scenes and characters which were not there in the original. The producer's piggy- back rode on Rajinikanth's larger than life image and sold it to Pyramid Saimira for Rs 60 crore, when they knew very well that he was only doing a special appearance. Why did Rajinikanth after initially saying that he is there for only 25 percent of the film agree to keep a studious silence when the film was sold to PS as a full fledged superstar film like a Sivaji or Chandramukhi? It lends credence to the story in the trade that he became greedy when he saw big money being traded on his name. Anyway, coming back to the basic facts touted by the industry on why Kuselan was not appreciated by neither his fans, the youth nor his traditional family audiences. * First and foremost Rajinikanth is a prisoner of his larger than life image. He cannot make a film run without his usual gimmicks- Punchline, clean comedy, subtle romance, sentiments and above all he needs a villain to fight him. These elements were missing in Kuselan * The trade believes that the producers should not have gone against the industry sentiments of releasing the film during 'Aadi' month of August. Remember quite a few Rajinikanth films released in the month of August like the most famous of them Baba had bombed in the past! * S.P Balasubramaniyam used to sing the superstar's introduction song which has a message that goes with his image. Who can forget SPB- Rajini magic songs, En Peru Padayappa' (Padayappa),Oruvan Oruvaan '(Muthu) , Bellellakka, Bellellakka' (Sivaji), Devuda, Devuda' (Chandramukhi)? In Kuselan the Cinema, Cinema' introductory number was sung by Shankar Mahadevan. Last time when he sung for Rajini Dippu, Dippu' in Baba, everybody knows what happened! * The superstar does not require the glamour of Nayanthara and the crass and crude comedy of Vadivel to sell his films. The big mistake the director made was to include these scenes in the film. * Finally, the industry believes that stories of cinema within cinema have never clicked in Kollywood.

The Moral of the story- Never tamper with an original script that has worked wonders in another south Indian language. And the superstar should only do one film in two years, where he is there throughout from the opening scene to the end titles!

source: sify
LOLLOLLOLso many researching for why Kuselan flopped at the box office, maybe trying to get a PhD also?Wink

Edited by meli - 08 August 2008 at 8:23am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

kadhambarinetra_rama

netra_rama IF-Rockerz
netra_rama
netra_rama

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 8:40am | IP Logged
D'ohso many issues in kuselan .... and i still have not watched it LOL
suram Goldie
suram
suram

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 9:37am | IP Logged
Really??? Kuselan is a damp squib???  I still would like to watch it.. coz I for one think that it would be refreshing to watch Rajini in a different role.  Honestly I dont like the idea of heroes and heroines doing stereo type roles!!!
Karthikka IF-Dazzler
Karthikka
Karthikka

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 5:49am | IP Logged
I am going to watch it tonight so I will tell you guys.

The review sounds like what our once so-called resident expert would have written.
sankadevi30 IF-Rockerz
sankadevi30
sankadevi30

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 5:56am | IP Logged
thanks meli

they say its too early to say abt collections

Karthikka IF-Dazzler
Karthikka
Karthikka

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged
Just came back from the cinema and I can tell you that this so-called article is poppycock. This film is not about Rajni, so there was no need for punchlines and villains.

I only agree with him/her on the Nayantara and Vadivelu issues. The humour was really bad - really crass. Nayan did nothing. Vadivelu was a waste, the only scene where he stood out was when he finally meets the "superstar". Nayantara just flaunted her body - damn, she looked hot and there was a distasteful scene with Vadivelu doing a Peeping Tom.

I enjoyed Kuselan - more than Sivaji.
Aahaana Global Moderator
Aahaana
Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 5:42pm | IP Logged

You really liked it, K? Maybe I should watch itWink

I think the first mistake they made was promoting this as a Rajini movie, so his fans had high expecation and once they saw the movie, most have been dissapointed he only was a cameo...should have kept that as a secret n promoted with Pasupathu and meena scenes...afterall he is the hero and its was so unfair by the producers n distributors.Angry

The whole article as based on Rajini..not the whole movie, we donno wherever this movie is a flop or not, but if they choosed to have another actor than Rajini, it may could have been different...some movies are not meant to be remade into Tamil cinema

netra_rama IF-Rockerz
netra_rama
netra_rama

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 9:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Karthikka

Just came back from the cinema and I can tell you that this so-called article is poppycock. This film is not about Rajni, so there was no need for punchlines and villains.

I only agree with him/her on the Nayantara and Vadivelu issues. The humour was really bad - really crass. Nayan did nothing. Vadivelu was a waste, the only scene where he stood out was when he finally meets the "superstar". Nayantara just flaunted her body - damn, she looked hot and there was a distasteful scene with Vadivelu doing a Peeping Tom.

I enjoyed Kuselan - more than Sivaji.

ShockedShocked u enjoyed it Karthi....?? Then meli, lets watch it. If karthi says its good, i trust her judgements....

Go to top