Going abroad is still overrated term?

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
India's economy is booming, buying power is at it's best still there is a myth that going abroad is FUN/FROLIC life and financially advantagous as compared to staying in India.

With current culture and latest happenings (mall culture/booming economy), don't you think going abroad is overrated term? People staying back enjoy more of life and are statisfied  (culturally/family wise) with life as compared to  the people living in UK/US/Abroad?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chal_phek_mat thumbnail
but but but.................

a dollar still costs over 40 rupeesπŸ˜†

and unless you do a mass scale blood transfusion, the component in Indian blood for honoring the "Foreign Return" status is not going to go away yaar

BTW πŸ˜† about the culture and family talkπŸ˜‰
raj5000 thumbnail

Originally posted by: chal_phek_mat

but but but.................

a dollar still costs over 40 rupeesπŸ˜†

and unless you do a mass scale blood transfusion, the component in Indian blood for honoring the "Foreign Return" status is not going to go away yaar

BTW πŸ˜† about the culture and family talkπŸ˜‰

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

That was another topic on my mind, is it still about money with booming housing sector and overall economy (high paid jobs plus cheap naukar chakkarπŸ˜‰?) ?

If invested in 20Lakhs property in 2000's that is close to 1.5 Cr. now as compared to 100K saving @$40πŸ˜‰ bolo bolo πŸ˜†

Culture and Family talk πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
chal_phek_mat thumbnail

Originally posted by: raj5000

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

That was another topic on my mind, is it still about money with booming housing sector and overall economy (high paid jobs plus cheap naukar chakkarπŸ˜‰?) ?

If invested in 20Lakhs property in 2000's that is close to 1.5 Cr. now as compared to 100K saving @$40πŸ˜‰ bolo bolo πŸ˜†

Culture and Family talk πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Although I beleive in your title here, this is absolutely wrong example, plus these days I like debating on the "Against" side just to make it more funπŸ˜†

20 lack rupees in =50k USD
1.3 crores in 335kUSD savings returns

50k USD invested in property in US in 2000 for a house of $250k, same house costs 500k in 2008(netsavings of $450k) in 8 years

$335k > $450k, US still better

QEDπŸ˜‰ 

Plus Interest rates in India are 13.5-14 variable, in US, 6-6.5 Fixed, word of a difference even though you put the mortgage pre-tax in India and you get tax benefits in US

so atleast in case of housing over a period of 2000-2006, People in US made out like bandits, the drop hasnt been as bad as made out to be in the newspapers, now you could have used the numbers between 2006 and 2008 and then the case is against the US markets
raj5000 thumbnail

Originally posted by: chal_phek_mat

Although I beleive in your title here, this is absolutely wrong example, plus these days I like debating on the "Against" side just to make it more funπŸ˜†

Yeah I got it, travelling in both the boats whichever sinks leave it πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜† 

As for the example that was have observed with many friends / colleagues, who basically left out a property in India cam here for 3-4 years to earn more and afford a bigger, by the time they went back to the misery couldn't even afford the same house they left, feel sorry but kinna makes us πŸ˜† Just threw a reference (pointer) with that scenario and yes, πŸ˜†πŸ˜†  I mention now i.e. 2008.  plus the general trend to reinvest after 5-6 years in that case also dabba gul. πŸ˜† BTW - which part of US has been appraised 100% over last 8 years.

20 lack rupees in =50k USD
1.3 crores in 335kUSD savings returns

50k USD invested in property in US in 2000 for a house of $250k, same house costs 500k in 2008(netsavings of $450k) in 8 years

$335k > $450k, US still better

QEDπŸ˜‰ 

Plus Interest rates in India are 13.5-14 variable, in US, 6-6.5 Fixed, word of a difference even though you put the mortgage pre-tax in India and you get tax benefits in US

so atleast in case of housing over a period of 2000-2006, People in US made out like bandits, the drop hasnt been as bad as made out to be in the newspapers, now you could have used the numbers between 2006 and 2008 and then the case is against the US markets

Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

oh yes! definetly! I grew up in USA but recently I have been thinking about moving to India. I think India is doing great. What makes abroad still a hotshot is the quality of life. A middle class family has the luxuries only the rich families in India could afford.

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: raj5000

India's economy is booming, buying power is at it's best still there is a myth that going abroad is FUN/FROLIC life and financially advantagous as compared to staying in India.

With current culture and latest happenings (mall culture/booming economy), don't you think going abroad is overrated term? People staying back enjoy more of life and are statisfied  (culturally/family wise) with life as compared to  the people living in UK/US/Abroad?

I think 90's we says US is a land of oppertunities but now a days india changing, lot of jobs oppertunities here...., I enjoy every time I goto India-may be not city side but living in rural areas. Only issue is traffic jam and pollution in Indian Metros.Does anybody knows when Bush started office oil prices was $20 and now $120. War is that answer..the cost of living is high now a days everywhere....

Am working in abrod middle east, and I was a total opportunist. I could see opportunities of saving and doubling my investments in India in a shorter span than in the middle east, and I'm riding all those hype waves (knowingly) of Realty, Construction, consulting, retailing and art. I know my money is doubling every year, which I cant dream in the Middle east or US or Europe !😊
India shining is a hype than reality. There is GDP growth, there is employement opportunity. 😊

jasmine_triv thumbnail

Originally posted by: Perfangel5655

oh yes! definetly! I grew up in USA but recently I have been thinking about moving to India. I think India is doing great. What makes abroad still a hotshot is the quality of life. A middle class family has the luxuries only the rich families in India could afford.

I agree, even though my family in India is middle class they still have servants to do everything for them, they don't even have to make their own beds. I wouldn't mind living like that although I wouldn't be able to stand the weather.

tina59 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
well I would say People living abroad enjoy a better quality of life than back in India. Yes, India is a booming economy but with rising salaries, the expenses are increasing as well. The luxuries that one enjoys abroad is far far better.

Also as a dollar is worth 40rs, its great coz u can save a lot here, invest back in india and gain on it. The interest rates are so high that its better to earn here and invesr there.

As for Culture, believe me, culture is followed more closely here as its a close knit community and people make sure that people respect and follow that.

As for family, nowadays atleast half the family members reside abroad so u dont even miss that much.

for me eg, I live in NJ and its a place where u get everything indian esp the place where i liv. So i enjoy everything indian and at the same time, enjoy the luxury that earning abroad offers.

The quality of life that u get here, I dont think we can get it in India in the near future.

When I went to India, i spoke to many ppl, some 16, 20, 30 yrs old...W/ kids etc...

Those that were doing well (i.e. nice fmaily, stable job etc..) said they were happy with India...Those who were studying said they were going to do a MBA and hope for the best when  they get out..

Also some stated they wanted a foreign education, but wanted to come back to India..

I think India is on the same playing ground as the US and Erurope when it comes to Job competition, companies assist with Visa's , immigration status and would love talented ppl from India...I read somewhere that 38% of the ppl at microsoft and IBM are indians (this could be India, carriabean, European, Malayasian etc.. a Person of Indian Origin)...

All in all, India is not a country to leave, there are oppurtunites there for ppl who have proper access to reach those oppurtunites...

I told some friends who wanted to leave India, you think US is rich, its just a matter of a diff price...One Aloo Ghobi in India costs 40 rupies (for sake of thought), that same Aloo Ghobhi would cost 5 USD...But your Pay in India was 4000 rupees month, now ur pay in the US is 2,000 month USD...See its the same, just a difference in Price/pay!

But the biggest complaint I heard from some ppl was that the wealth/propsertiy of the nation was not being give equally..And this was addressed by the PM on the last Independence day speech...Equal oppurtunity to attain education and betterment of ones life..

I saw this first hand...At my BBA college (im in my MBA Now), the Engineering building had 90% Indians. Most  Indians were from India, Carribean, Asia... All were non-US residents on Student Visas...I went to the career fair for Technical majors (i.e. Engineers), many many many employeers did not care if you were a US citizen or not (only the Govt cared)...Meaning, they are willing to hire a Student and sponsor him/her on thier visa to become a green card holder...

I think it has to do with Talent shortage...