(d)  1/2 cup cashewnuts
(e)  Spring onion - 1 stalk
(f)   1 stick cinnamon
(g)  4 pods cardamoms
(h)  4 cloves garlic
(i)   Salt (according to taste)
(j)   41/2 cups water

Method
(1) Spread out washed and drained rice on paper towels to dry.
(2) Heat ghee in a wok over medium fire. Stir -fry onion till golden brown. Scoop out and set aside.
(3) In the same wok stir-fry the cashewnuts till golden brown. Scoop out and set aside with the fried onions.
(4) Sir- fry cinnamon, cardamom and cloves in the same wok. Add the dry rice and stir- fry for 1 min.
(5) Put the rice, ghee and spices in the rice cooker. Add salt and water and cook as usual.
(6) When the rice is cooked abotu 15 mins, stir in fried onion, chopped spring onion and cashew nuts.
(7) Serve hot with chicken curry.

Chechi thanx a lot..................idhukku veggie oyster sauce ellam thevai illaiLOLLOL,so i will try this soon & let u know my comments.i cant serve it with chicken curry.....i think mixed veggie curry will also compliment well 2 this.thanx once again chechi 4 such a simple recipe.

Chicken curry aa?Kadham... I thought you were a vegetarian!!!SillyVeg-Non veg oyster sauce is easily available in Singapore...innum-ma nengga adhu vangaley???Shocked I posted those recipes many moons ago...Wink.

Edited by Sue Nair - 09 September 2008 at 7:02am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "NEW RECIPE THREAD 3 (Page 8)" in Other Topics forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Sue Nair

IF-Rockerz

Sue Nair

Posted: 09 September 2008 at 7:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by eljay

Yesterday, I made a very easy version of Mango Shrikhand, which I thought I would share with all of you. 'Since my cooking is restricted to simple food, which does not involve much standing and preparation, this was all I could come up with for my friend's potluck lunch. '(I don't know if anyone has already posted this earlier, if so, please let me know.)

Mango Shrikhand:

1 can mango pulp

1 carton yogurt, plain lowfat

1 carton sour cream, nonfat

Elakkai powder

Saffron strands - a few

Directions:

1. Hang the yogurt in a cheesecloth and allow to strain for about two hours. '

2. Whisk the mango pulp and the sour cream thoroughly into the hung yogurt, till the mixture is smooth and creamy.

3. Add a pinch of elakkai powder and warmed saffron (I warmed it in the microwave for about 10 seconds)to the mixture and blend well.

4. Chill thoroughly and decorate with chopped nuts before serving.

Thanks Eljay...ripe mangoes are my favourite plus with yogurt....wow!...super 'O' super ..!!ClapClapClap I have already imagined tasting it...so now its only left for me to try it out..!Big smile All the ingredients are easily available... so its not a problem Tongue

Sue Nair

IF-Rockerz

Sue Nair

Posted: 09 September 2008 at 7:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by eljay

Originally posted by supree

Thanks Sue Akka for your wonderful recipes... never tried this honey chicken wing before... will give it a try soon...
?
Thanks Indrea for your Tomato soup recipe.
?
And thanks eljay for a simple &?easy, yummy?desert recipe... I love mango and I love deserts...and yours is a combo and I'm sure it's yummy!! ( I used to make Mango Ice-cream, similar to this using Mango pulp, but with Evaporated Milk &?Cool whip...)?It has been a long time since I?have made that. Since yours is with?different ingredients and both my dd &?I like the taste of sour cream (yum!),?definitely?wanted to try it.
?
I assume the Mango pulp you had mentioned is the regular size tin that is available at Indian stores!
Could you please give those carton sizes (in ounces) for yogurt and sour cream please?!

Supree, I bought a 32 oz. carton of yogurt and a 24 oz. carton of sour cream. ?I used the regular sized can of mango pulp that we get in our Indian stores here. ?I thought I could have used less sour cream, since there was a little tartness in the shrikhand, and we are not too keen on pulippu in this house. ?Anyway, that can be adjusted to taste. ?Actually, I use the same ingredients for mango lassi but it is just a whole lot thinner and I add some honey for sweetening and a few crushed mint leaves for added flavor. ?

Enjoy the shrikhand. ?

Incidentally, I have made the 7 cup cake in the past using maida also, and it comes out equally well, in fact, it looks white, so what I did once was to make two batches, one with maida and one with besan, and arranged them alternately on a plate for effect! ?The only difference in the procedure was that I warmed the maida first, then covered it and let it cool for some time and then proceeded to make the barfi. ?

Is sour cream a must in this recipe?...enna I do not like much pulippu....Embarrassed

Sue Nair

IF-Rockerz

Sue Nair

Posted: 09 September 2008 at 8:38am | IP Logged
SIMPLE RAISIN BISCUITS

Ingredients
140g self-raising flour
45g butter cut into small pieces
45g castor sugar
1tbsp grated orange rind
160g seedless raisins
5 tbsps Evaporated milk

Method
1. Sift flour and place in a bowl.
2. Cut butter into flour and mix until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in sugar, orange rind and raisins. Add milk and mix well.
4. Form into small balls, press slightly and place on baking sheets. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 80 delicious biscuits.

Sue Nair

IF-Rockerz

Sue Nair

Posted: 09 September 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged
Coconut Biscuits (Kuih Bangkit)

Ingredients
2 cups castor sugar
2 cups grated coconut
4 cups tapioca flour
3 eggs
1tsp rose essence

Method
1. Dry fry coconut until golden and mix thoroughly with sugar and flour.
2. Beat eggs until frothy and pour into flour mixture. Drop in rose essence.
3. Knead until soft and well mixed.
4. Roll out on floured board and cut into desired shapes with biscuit cutters. Bake in moderate oven for 25 mins.

Sue Nair

IF-Rockerz

Sue Nair

Posted: 09 September 2008 at 8:53am | IP Logged
COCOA COOKIES

Ingredients
1 cup butter
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp milk
2 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsps baking powder
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup finely pounded groundnuts

Method
1. Beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs and vanilla essence, alternating with dry ingredients.
3. Add groundnuts and mix thoroughly to form a firm dough.
4. Roll out and cut into desired shapes.
5. Bake in 350F oven for 15 minutes. Cool before storing. 

netra_rama

IF-Rockerz

netra_rama

Posted: 09 September 2008 at 10:45am | IP Logged
Thanks sue maa for the cookies ...

netra_rama

IF-Rockerz

netra_rama

Posted: 09 September 2008 at 10:47am | IP Logged
Mango - Pineapple chutney

2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1 large sweet onion, minced 4 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced 1 large yellow bell pepper, diced 3 large ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, and diced 1 small pineapple, peeled and diced 1/2 cup brown sugar 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  •  

Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the red pepper flakes and cook until they begin to sizzle, then stir in the minced onion. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions have softened, about 20 minutes.

Remove the lid, increase the heat to medium, and stir in the ginger and yellow bell pepper. Cook and stir until the ginger is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the mangoes, pineapple, brown sugar, curry powder, and vinegar. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool the chutney completely when done.

Edited by netra_rama - 09 September 2008 at 10:47am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top