NEW RECIPE THREAD 3 (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 59

netra_rama

IF-Rockerz

netra_rama

Posted: 07 September 2008 at 6:07am | IP Logged
Sue maa, honey baked chicken wings ...... urrmm sigh sigh sigh .. so tempting right now. Prawn pumpkin patties is something new. Will try it out next week.

Thanks for the sharing this naa ... Wink

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "NEW RECIPE THREAD 3 (Page 7)" in Other Topics forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

kadhambari

IF-Rockerz

kadhambari

Posted: 07 September 2008 at 8:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sue Nair

SIMPLE GHEE RICE

Ingredients
(a). 3 cups rice, rinsed and drained
(b). 5 tbsp ghee
(c)  1 medium sized onion, peeled and sliced finely
(d)  1/2 cup cashewnuts
(e)  Spring onion - 1 stalk
(f)   1 stick cinnamon
(g)  4 pods cardamoms
(h)  4 cloves garlic
(i)   Salt (according to taste)
(j)   41/2 cups water

Method
(1) Spread out washed and drained rice on paper towels to dry.
(2) Heat ghee in a wok over medium fire. Stir -fry onion till golden brown. Scoop out and set aside.
(3) In the same wok stir-fry the cashewnuts till golden brown. Scoop out and set aside with the fried onions.
(4) Sir- fry cinnamon, cardamom and cloves in the same wok. Add the dry rice and stir- fry for 1 min.
(5) Put the rice, ghee and spices in the rice cooker. Add salt and water and cook as usual.
(6) When the rice is cooked abotu 15 mins, stir in fried onion, chopped spring onion and cashew nuts.
(7) Serve hot with chicken curry.

Chechi thanx a lot..................idhukku veggie oyster sauce ellam thevai illaiLOLLOL,so i will try this soon & let u know my comments.i cant serve it with chicken curry.....i think mixed veggie curry will also compliment well 2 this.thanx once again chechi 4 such a simple recipe.

Caryn

IF-Rockerz

Caryn

Posted: 07 September 2008 at 5:34pm | IP Logged
Thanks for the recipes Sue & Indera.

eljay

IF-Rockerz

eljay

Posted: 08 September 2008 at 7:24am | IP Logged

Yesterday, I made a very easy version of Mango Shrikhand, which I thought I would share with all of you. 'Since my cooking is restricted to simple food, which does not involve much standing and preparation, this was all I could come up with for my friend's potluck lunch. '(I don't know if anyone has already posted this earlier, if so, please let me know.)

Mango Shrikhand:

1 can mango pulp

1 carton yogurt, plain lowfat

1 carton sour cream, nonfat

Elakkai powder

Saffron strands - a few

Directions:

1. Hang the yogurt in a cheesecloth and allow to strain for about two hours. '

2. Whisk the mango pulp and the sour cream thoroughly into the hung yogurt, till the mixture is smooth and creamy.

3. Add a pinch of elakkai powder and warmed saffron (I warmed it in the microwave for about 10 seconds)to the mixture and blend well.

4. Chill thoroughly and decorate with chopped nuts before serving.

Edited by eljay - 08 September 2008 at 7:25am

supree

Goldie

supree

Anandham Caption Contest Winner

Posted: 08 September 2008 at 12:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sue Nair

Originally posted by supree

Lots of new recipes.... Smile and suddenly a big silence!  (nothing happened for the last 16 days...!! )

Thanks to everyone who contributed recipes/comments to this thread...   Clap Let's continue doing it... so one day when our Kavi dear comes back, will be happy to find her thread.... in action!

After my India trip, I wasn't able to contribute as I used to in the past, for various reasons...  But here I'm... back to work! Let me break the ice by giving a sweet recipe....  Big smile

Seven Cup Cake/Burfi

Ingredients:
1 Cup Besan
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Grated Cocount
1 Cup Ghee
3 Cups Sugar*
1 or 2 cardamoms (optional)
*Here the sugar can be adjusted to best suit your taste. For me, 3 cups of sugar is too much sweet thus I added only 2 and 1/2 cups.

Method:
1. First take a thick bottomed pan and using 1 tbsp of ghee, fry the besan flour slightly in low heat.
2. Mix all the remaining ingredients into a different vessel. Crush the
cardamom and add that also to this mix.
3. When the flour cools down a bit, add the mix to the flour and mix it
well so that there aren't any lumps formed.
4. Now using medium-high flame, keep stirring the mix continuously until it forms into a soft lump and ghee starts to spread to the sides of the pan.
5. Meanwhile take a tray and spread a little ghee on it and keep it ready.
6. When the besan mixture reaches the right consistency, which usually happens in around 35-40 minutes from the time you started, pour the mixture into the tray and level it.
7. After it cools down a bit, cut them into desired shapes using a sharp knife and let them cool down for some more time.
8. When it completely cools down, pull them off the tray and
store in an air-tight container. It stays fresh and good for even upto a week.
9. Enjoy your seven cup burfis!

Thanks Supree your Barfi looks so delicious. Its Nair bhaiya's favourite. We always get it from a North Indian shoppe whenever we happen to be in that area. Your squares are so neatly cut identical pieces. You have presented 7 pieces for a 7 Cup Barfi.!!LOL Enna... is No.7 your lucky number???Wink

Thank you so much SueAkka for your nice and wonderful compliments.... Blushing Big smile  I knew/ and kind of expected that some one would notice that 'count' of burfis I put in that plate and ask me about it.... and you surely didn't upset me Akka. I placed 7 of them as it's 7 cup cake/burfi recipe... And of course, let me share one other tiny detail with you Akka..... my dd's B'day is 7th!!  Big smile

supree

Goldie

supree

Anandham Caption Contest Winner

Posted: 08 September 2008 at 1:10pm | IP Logged
Thanks Sue Akka for your wonderful recipes... never tried this honey chicken wing before... will give it a try soon...

Thanks Indrea for your Tomato soup recipe.

And thanks eljay for a simple & easy, yummy desert recipe... I love mango and I love deserts...and yours is a combo and I'm sure it's yummy!! ( I used to make Mango Ice-cream, similar to this using Mango pulp, but with Evaporated Milk & Cool whip...) It has been a long time since I have made that. Since yours is with different ingredients and both my dd & I like the taste of sour cream (yum!), definitely wanted to try it.

I assume the Mango pulp you had mentioned is the regular size tin that is available at Indian stores!
Could you please give those carton sizes (in ounces) for yogurt and sour cream please?!

Edited by supree - 08 September 2008 at 1:13pm

Aahaana

Global Moderator

Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 08 September 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged
Thank you everyone for the wonderful recipiesBig smile

Let us keep this thread active by posting new items whenever we canTongue

eljay

IF-Rockerz

eljay

Posted: 08 September 2008 at 6:31pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by supree

Thanks Sue Akka for your wonderful recipes... never tried this honey chicken wing before... will give it a try soon...
Thanks Indrea for your Tomato soup recipe.
And thanks eljay for a simple &easy, yummydesert recipe... I love mango and I love deserts...and yours is a combo and I'm sure it's yummy!! ( I used to make Mango Ice-cream, similar to this using Mango pulp, but with Evaporated Milk &Cool whip...)It has been a long time since Ihave made that. Since yours is withdifferent ingredients and both my dd &I like the taste of sour cream (yum!),definitelywanted to try it.
I assume the Mango pulp you had mentioned is the regular size tin that is available at Indian stores!
Could you please give those carton sizes (in ounces) for yogurt and sour cream please?!

Supree, I bought a 32 oz. carton of yogurt and a 24 oz. carton of sour cream. I used the regular sized can of mango pulp that we get in our Indian stores here. I thought I could have used less sour cream, since there was a little tartness in the shrikhand, and we are not too keen on pulippu in this house. Anyway, that can be adjusted to taste. Actually, I use the same ingredients for mango lassi but it is just a whole lot thinner and I add some honey for sweetening and a few crushed mint leaves for added flavor.

Enjoy the shrikhand.

Incidentally, I have made the 7 cup cake in the past using maida also, and it comes out equally well, in fact, it looks white, so what I did once was to make two batches, one with maida and one with besan, and arranged them alternately on a plate for effect! The only difference in the procedure was that I warmed the maida first, then covered it and let it cool for some time and then proceeded to make the barfi.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top