Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 5
Page 5 Page 5

corvette

IF-Rockerz

corvette

Posted: 11 August 2008 at 8:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by uknaik99

The Mumbai High Court judgment disallowing the abortion of a 26-week-old foetus has sparked off a nationwide debate on abortion and a woman?s right of choice. But for a majority of Indian women, ?medical termination of pregnancy? (MTP, the medical term for abortions) remains largely unsafe.

Unsafe abortions are those performed illegally, by untrained practitioners with faulty equipment, leading to injuries, infections and even death.

India has the highest number of unsafe abortions in the world. According to government estimates, 8.9 per cent of maternal deaths in India every year ? around 15,000 ? are caused by unsafe abortions. The irony is apparent when doctors say MTP, if done right, is among the safest medical procedures.

Of the 6.4 million abortions performed in India in 2002 and 2003, 56 per cent or 3.6 million were unsafe, says the Abortion Assessment Project I, 2004. The study ? one of the largest in recent times ? was managed by the Mumbai-based Centre for Equity into Health and Allied Themes and Healthwatch Trust. It included qualitative and quantitative studies across various states by non-governmental organisations (NGOs), researchers and healthcare professionals.

It also pointed out problems of reach and access with public investment in abortion facilities being woefully inadequate. Only 25 per cent of abortion facilities in the organised sector are government-owned; the rest are private clinics. These are so expensive that they completely exclude the poor sections.

?There?s inadequate, inequitable distribution of facilities for safe abortions. Contraceptive usage is low in India, hence the great demand for safe abortion services,? said Dr Jaydeep Tank, chairperson of the MTP Committee at the Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI). Besides, only six per cent of India?s 23,000 primary health centres (PHCs) provide abortion services.

?Besides risk to life, unsafe abortions have serious long-term repercussions like life-long disabilities and reproductive tract infections,? said Sushanta Banerjee, senior advisor at Ipas, an NGO.

For a country with a ?liberal? law on abortion, Banerjee said awareness about it is extremely low even three decades after it was enacted. ?In Jharkhand, for instance, we found that 82 per cent of women didn?t even know abortion was legal,? he said. In a related study by the Population Council in Rajasthan in 2002, the figure was 84 per cent and in Maharashtra at least 37 per cent of those who had had abortions thought they were illegal. This misconception leads many women to unqualified professionals. Other barriers to safe abortion are ?social stigma and myths attached to MTP?, said Tank. ?Awareness about abortion through drugs like Mifepristone and Misoprostol is also low, despite they being legal and easily available.?

Social barriers like spousal consent and judgmental doctors are also deterrents, though the law requires no such consent. Under the government?s Reproductive and Child Health Project, safe abortions are a key concern and some progress is being made ? maternal mortality due to abortion was 11 per cent in 2001. ?We need to generate awareness at the community level about contraception and safe abortion, in both rural areas and urban slums,? said Thomas Chandy, CEO, Save The Children in India. Ipas also advocates training of mid-level service providers like nurses and non-allopathic doctors in remote areas where access to trained doctors is a problem.

My father aged 6 lost his mother thanks to an illegal abortion.......apparently she bled to death.
Social stigma was entirely to blame....she was told it was socially unacceptable for her to be pregnant at the same time as her own daughet (my aunt) was being married off.

What a  waste of 2 lives, no - not 2 - more - based on the fact that a boy lost his Mum and potential sibling, a man lost his wife and child and we never knew the grandmother, for whom others, was a legend in many ways.

Society, especially bloody Indian society, has a lot of blood on its hands..........yet they change nothing......

AngryMAngry

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Abortion of a foetus!! (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 14 August 2008 at 12:48pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 14 August 2008 at 12:53pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

jasmine_triv

jasmine_triv

Posted: 14 August 2008 at 5:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Mumbai abortion case: Niketa Mehta suffers miscarriage

NEW DELHI: Barely eight days after the Bombay High Court gave its ruling on an appeal that had the country divided into two sides, Niketa Mehta, who sought to abort her 25-week-old-foetus has suffered a miscarriage.

According to her husband Haresh Mehta, Niketa suffered a miscarriage on August 12.

27 weeks pregnant Niketa was rushed to a hospital in suburban Mumbai after complaining of severe pain on Tuesday night.

Confirming that his wife Niketa had a miscarriage on Tuesday, Haresh Mehta said, "If not the court, at least god was on our side."

Looks like man proposes god disposes.  My best wishes are with the couple.  They suffered a lot of unnecessary attention and criticism for no fault of theirs. 

I guess they got what they wanted in the end, although I don't think they wanted it this way.

corvette

IF-Rockerz

corvette

Posted: 15 August 2008 at 2:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by jasmine_triv

NEW DELHI: Barely eight days after the Bombay High Court gave its ruling on an appeal that had the country divided into two sides, Niketa Mehta, who sought to abort her 25-week-old-foetus has suffered a miscarriage.

According to her husband Haresh Mehta, Niketa suffered a miscarriage on August 12.

27 weeks pregnant Niketa was rushed to a hospital in suburban Mumbai after complaining of severe pain on Tuesday night.

Confirming that his wife Niketa had a miscarriage on Tuesday, Haresh Mehta said, "If not the court, at least god was on our side."

Looks like man proposes god disposes.  My best wishes are with the couple.  They suffered a lot of unnecessary attention and criticism for no fault of theirs. 

I guess they got what they wanted in the end, although I don't think they wanted it this way.

"Divine intervention" is what comes to my mind.....maybe India will take note of this at least.......

AngryMAngry

Connie

IF-Dazzler

Connie

Posted: 16 August 2008 at 3:52am | IP Logged

Niketa's husband has blamed intense media pressure for his wife's high blood pressure and increased stress level which led to the miscarriage.

Niketa's appeal caught the nation's imagination after she sought to terminate her 25-week-old foetus, after medical reports that her child would be born with a complete congenital heart blockage and malpositioned arteries.

The report had claimed that the child would have required a pacemaker soon after birth. The couple had approached the court as the Pregnancy Act of 71 prevented termination of pregnancy after 20 weeks. 

On August 4, the court turned down Mehtas plea. The court had also said that medical evidence did not suggest that the foetus needed to be aborted.

Thanks for the article......indeed they suffered a lot. Well I don't think nature took it's course in this one but it's their decision after all.

uknaik99

IF-Rockerz

uknaik99

Posted: 18 August 2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged
Here is one interesting Report...

My girls will enjoy their right to life

Delhi resident Dr Mitu Khurana says her husband, also a doctor, wanted her to abort twin girls after an illegal sex determination test

Dr Mitu Khurana with her twin daughters

New Delhi: Sixty-one years after Independence, girls in our country are still fighting for the freedom to be born and the freedom to live. Dr Mitu Khurana is the mother of two lovely twins. But the real reason we are talking about her is that she chose to fight her husband and his parents rather than let them force her into an abortion.

She is also the first woman in Delhi to have filed a case against her husband and his parents under the Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PNDT) Act after they fraudulently obtained information about the sex of the babies she was carrying and pressurised her to abort the foetuses.

"After I came to know that my husband, also a doctor, had managed to get a sex-determination test done, I knew what was going to happen. They desperately wanted a male child. There was immense pressure on me to go in for an abortion.

But instead of giving in to them, I chose to escape and am proud to say that I have given birth to two lovely daughters," says Dr Mitu. She has lodged a complaint against her husband, Dr Kamal Khurana, his parents and also wants action against the doctors who helped them conduct the illegal sex determination test.

Threats and bribes

Though determined in her objective, she is a little disheartened by the authorities' attitude. It has been four months since she filed her complaint but little has been done in the name of investigation. "Though the government claims it is doing its bit to protect the girl child, nothing is being done in my case. All I have faced since filing the complaint have been threats, pressure to withdraw the case and mental harassment," she says.

She has gone to the Delhi Commission for Women, the CDMO, Northwest Delhi, Core Monitoring Committee of PNDT, written to the Prime Minister and has now decided to write to the health minister seeking justice. She has also filed an application under the Right To Information Act on June 3 to know the status of her case.

"Before filing the case I had met Dr Puneet Bedi, a member of the Core Monitoring Committee. He did not take me seriously. Also, he warned me that if I file a case, the concerned hospital, where the sex determination was done without my knowledge, would threaten and offer me bribes and I would be forced to settle the case with my husband and close it," she said.

Dr Mitu was however bold enough and did not pay heed to Dr Bedi's warnings. She fought her battle alone. "I was advised by the authorities to stop and think about my actions and not do anything in haste as I would have to repent later. I was also told that I should try to reconcile with my husband, and the wish for a son was not something I could not fulfil as I could always get pregnant again," she said.

But when no one called her regarding the case, she filed an RTI to know the status of her complaint. Then a raid was conducted on the hospital. "I got the answer that the Central PNDT department has conducted a raid, and there was again silence. Finally, I received a registered letter dated July 16 from CDMO, Northwest Delhi that during the raid no Form F was found, which was filled for the Ultra Sonography done in the hospital. This is a violation of the PNDT Act, but still no action has been taken against my husband," says Dr Mitu.

Support from NGO

Bijaya Laxmi Nanda, campaign co-ordinator, Campaign Against Female Foeticide, said: "I appreciate Mitu for launching the fight. She is the first one from Delhi to launch the fight. In her case her husband, in-laws and the concerned doctor were hand in glove.

"Her in-laws wanted a boy child while the doctors wanted money. Here, I think the doctors' fraternity is also in question which is why no action was taken against the doctor, who determined her babies' sex and also Mitu's husband, who is also a doctor."

Husband refutes mitu's charge

Dr Mitu's husband Dr Kamal Khurana, however, said: "Her allegations are false. I can't make any comment until the matter is resolved." Dr A K Jaina, director of Family Welfare Directorate (PNDT comes under the directorate), said: "This case is under investigation by appropriate authorities. So far, we do not have any report."

PRABii

Groupbie

PRABii

Posted: 18 August 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged
I think they should be allowed to abort the child
Its their decision weather they want the child or not
The qovernment shouldnt qet involved
Its their family matter

Post Reply New Post

Go to top