Views

Users

Frequent Posters

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by: uknaik99

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†..  Another logic debate

I agree Father should also be part of the decision... but ultimate decision should n must taken by mother.. as she is the carrier...

πŸ˜†

πŸ˜† Thank You for atleast acknowledging Father's play a role in decision making , have tons to say but based on topic would detest. IMO individual decision is made when entering a nupital bond or entering the first step of taking parenthood responsibilities, after that everything is mutual (either ways). Last but not the least children are both parents resposibility once conceived, no exceptions. All I can say...😊
Edited by raj5000 - 15 years ago
...anshu... thumbnail
what we need is not to question our morals and think practically

and ofcourse some young guns in the top box
i mean we r a democracy and all so y can't a commitee be made to revamb the constitution
i m not saying everything is obselete bt some rules r as the reservation on the basis of caste .

as for the child abortion i really think that should be left for the arents to think and decide abt

and i agree a child is from both parents
anshu
Edited by someanshu2008 - 15 years ago
uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

The Mumbai High Court judgment disallowing the abortion of a 26-week-old foetus has sparked off a nationwide debate on abortion and a woman's right of choice. But for a majority of Indian women, 'medical termination of pregnancy' (MTP, the medical term for abortions) remains largely unsafe.

Unsafe abortions are those performed illegally, by untrained practitioners with faulty equipment, leading to injuries, infections and even death.

India has the highest number of unsafe abortions in the world. According to government estimates, 8.9 per cent of maternal deaths in India every year β€” around 15,000 β€” are caused by unsafe abortions. The irony is apparent when doctors say MTP, if done right, is among the safest medical procedures.

Of the 6.4 million abortions performed in India in 2002 and 2003, 56 per cent or 3.6 million were unsafe, says the Abortion Assessment Project I, 2004. The study β€” one of the largest in recent times β€” was managed by the Mumbai-based Centre for Equity into Health and Allied Themes and Healthwatch Trust. It included qualitative and quantitative studies across various states by non-governmental organisations (NGOs), researchers and healthcare professionals.

It also pointed out problems of reach and access with public investment in abortion facilities being woefully inadequate. Only 25 per cent of abortion facilities in the organised sector are government-owned; the rest are private clinics. These are so expensive that they completely exclude the poor sections.

"There's inadequate, inequitable distribution of facilities for safe abortions. Contraceptive usage is low in India, hence the great demand for safe abortion services," said Dr Jaydeep Tank, chairperson of the MTP Committee at the Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI). Besides, only six per cent of India's 23,000 primary health centres (PHCs) provide abortion services.

"Besides risk to life, unsafe abortions have serious long-term repercussions like life-long disabilities and reproductive tract infections," said Sushanta Banerjee, senior advisor at Ipas, an NGO.

For a country with a 'liberal' law on abortion, Banerjee said awareness about it is extremely low even three decades after it was enacted. "In Jharkhand, for instance, we found that 82 per cent of women didn't even know abortion was legal," he said. In a related study by the Population Council in Rajasthan in 2002, the figure was 84 per cent and in Maharashtra at least 37 per cent of those who had had abortions thought they were illegal. This misconception leads many women to unqualified professionals. Other barriers to safe abortion are "social stigma and myths attached to MTP", said Tank. "Awareness about abortion through drugs like Mifepristone and Misoprostol is also low, despite they being legal and easily available."

Social barriers like spousal consent and judgmental doctors are also deterrents, though the law requires no such consent. Under the government's Reproductive and Child Health Project, safe abortions are a key concern and some progress is being made β€” maternal mortality due to abortion was 11 per cent in 2001. "We need to generate awareness at the community level about contraception and safe abortion, in both rural areas and urban slums," said Thomas Chandy, CEO, Save The Children in India. Ipas also advocates training of mid-level service providers like nurses and non-allopathic doctors in remote areas where access to trained doctors is a problem.

corvette thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: souro

I'll also say that it should be the mother's decision. Though it's not because I think that the father can't take the right decision. The simple reason is that before the baby is born, the foetus is an inseparable part of the mother.

As long as it has taken two people to make the baby and the baby was planned/wanted - I do not think it is right that just the mother can make the decision.

Yes, the father also helps in the mother in taking care of the baby but it's much more indirect in nature compared to how the mother is directly involved with the foetus.

The mother is the complete existence medium for a foetus - granted. Father cannot have thats same physical attachment. But bonding? I would say a father can bond with a child in the same way a mother can.

Another thing is, at anytime the father can leave, but it's not possible for the mother to do so until and unless she decides to terminate her pregnancy. Since, it's the mothers life which is directly involved and gets affected more, obviously the decision should also be that of the mothers.
Pregnancy brings about many changes for a woman, including how she feels about stuff. To be honest most people in loving relationships and planned pregnancies would, I hope, have discussed issues like this if they came up. If they havent, then they should - coz I cant imagine anything more traumatic than having to be at loggerheads with your partner over your joint baby's existence.

That said - I still think a father has the right to challenge a mother over the existence of his biological child, if what he is saying is the child has a right to live and the father is happy to be reponsible for bringing it up.

On the other hand, I also believe that if the father doesnt want it, mother can say well I do and I'm going to....

It's a sort of pro-life approach.....based on the fact that at least one of the parents is happy to assume responsibilty for the life of that minor...so sod the other!

😑M😑

corvette thumbnail
Originally posted by: uknaik99

The Mumbai High Court judgment disallowing the abortion of a 26-week-old foetus has sparked off a nationwide debate on abortion and a woman?s right of choice. But for a majority of Indian women, ?medical termination of pregnancy? (MTP, the medical term for abortions) remains largely unsafe.

Unsafe abortions are those performed illegally, by untrained practitioners with faulty equipment, leading to injuries, infections and even death.

India has the highest number of unsafe abortions in the world. According to government estimates, 8.9 per cent of maternal deaths in India every year ? around 15,000 ? are caused by unsafe abortions. The irony is apparent when doctors say MTP, if done right, is among the safest medical procedures.

Of the 6.4 million abortions performed in India in 2002 and 2003, 56 per cent or 3.6 million were unsafe, says the Abortion Assessment Project I, 2004. The study ? one of the largest in recent times ? was managed by the Mumbai-based Centre for Equity into Health and Allied Themes and Healthwatch Trust. It included qualitative and quantitative studies across various states by non-governmental organisations (NGOs), researchers and healthcare professionals.

It also pointed out problems of reach and access with public investment in abortion facilities being woefully inadequate. Only 25 per cent of abortion facilities in the organised sector are government-owned; the rest are private clinics. These are so expensive that they completely exclude the poor sections.

?There?s inadequate, inequitable distribution of facilities for safe abortions. Contraceptive usage is low in India, hence the great demand for safe abortion services,? said Dr Jaydeep Tank, chairperson of the MTP Committee at the Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI). Besides, only six per cent of India?s 23,000 primary health centres (PHCs) provide abortion services.

?Besides risk to life, unsafe abortions have serious long-term repercussions like life-long disabilities and reproductive tract infections,? said Sushanta Banerjee, senior advisor at Ipas, an NGO.

For a country with a ?liberal? law on abortion, Banerjee said awareness about it is extremely low even three decades after it was enacted. ?In Jharkhand, for instance, we found that 82 per cent of women didn?t even know abortion was legal,? he said. In a related study by the Population Council in Rajasthan in 2002, the figure was 84 per cent and in Maharashtra at least 37 per cent of those who had had abortions thought they were illegal. This misconception leads many women to unqualified professionals. Other barriers to safe abortion are ?social stigma and myths attached to MTP?, said Tank. ?Awareness about abortion through drugs like Mifepristone and Misoprostol is also low, despite they being legal and easily available.?

Social barriers like spousal consent and judgmental doctors are also deterrents, though the law requires no such consent. Under the government?s Reproductive and Child Health Project, safe abortions are a key concern and some progress is being made ? maternal mortality due to abortion was 11 per cent in 2001. ?We need to generate awareness at the community level about contraception and safe abortion, in both rural areas and urban slums,? said Thomas Chandy, CEO, Save The Children in India. Ipas also advocates training of mid-level service providers like nurses and non-allopathic doctors in remote areas where access to trained doctors is a problem.

My father aged 6 lost his mother thanks to an illegal abortion.......apparently she bled to death.
Social stigma was entirely to blame....she was told it was socially unacceptable for her to be pregnant at the same time as her own daughet (my aunt) was being married off.

What a  waste of 2 lives, no - not 2 - more - based on the fact that a boy lost his Mum and potential sibling, a man lost his wife and child and we never knew the grandmother, for whom others, was a legend in many ways.

Society, especially bloody Indian society, has a lot of blood on its hands..........yet they change nothing......

😑M😑

Mumbai abortion case: Niketa Mehta suffers miscarriage

NEW DELHI: Barely eight days after the Bombay High Court gave its ruling on an appeal that had the country divided into two sides, Niketa Mehta, who sought to abort her 25-week-old-foetus has suffered a miscarriage.

According to her husband Haresh Mehta, Niketa suffered a miscarriage on August 12.

27 weeks pregnant Niketa was rushed to a hospital in suburban Mumbai after complaining of severe pain on Tuesday night.

Confirming that his wife Niketa had a miscarriage on Tuesday, Haresh Mehta said, "If not the court, at least god was on our side."

Niketa's husband has blamed intense media pressure for his wife's high blood pressure and increased stress level which led to the miscarriage.

Niketa's appeal caught the nation's imagination after she sought to terminate her 25-week-old foetus, after medical reports that her child would be born with a complete congenital heart blockage and malpositioned arteries.

The report had claimed that the child would have required a pacemaker soon after birth. The couple had approached the court as the Pregnancy Act of 71 prevented termination of pregnancy after 20 weeks. 

On August 4, the court turned down Mehtas plea. The court had also said that medical evidence did not suggest that the foetus needed to be aborted.

Looks like man proposes god disposes.  My best wishes are with the couple.  They suffered a lot of unnecessary attention and criticism for no fault of theirs. 
Edited by Gauri_3 - 15 years ago
Originally posted by: Madmadgirl

My father aged 6 lost his mother thanks to an illegal abortion.......apparently she bled to death.
Social stigma was entirely to blame....she was told it was socially unacceptable for her to be pregnant at the same time as her own daughet (my aunt) was being married off.

What a  waste of 2 lives, no - not 2 - more - based on the fact that a boy lost his Mum and potential sibling, a man lost his wife and child and we never knew the grandmother, for whom others, was a legend in many ways.

Society, especially bloody Indian society, has a lot of blood on its hands..........yet they change nothing......

😑M😑

awwwwπŸ€— Indeed, what a waste of 2 lives and many more😭
jasmine_triv thumbnail
Originally posted by: Gauri_3

NEW DELHI: Barely eight days after the Bombay High Court gave its ruling on an appeal that had the country divided into two sides, Niketa Mehta, who sought to abort her 25-week-old-foetus has suffered a miscarriage.

According to her husband Haresh Mehta, Niketa suffered a miscarriage on August 12.

27 weeks pregnant Niketa was rushed to a hospital in suburban Mumbai after complaining of severe pain on Tuesday night.

Confirming that his wife Niketa had a miscarriage on Tuesday, Haresh Mehta said, "If not the court, at least god was on our side."

Looks like man proposes god disposes.  My best wishes are with the couple.  They suffered a lot of unnecessary attention and criticism for no fault of theirs. 

I guess they got what they wanted in the end, although I don't think they wanted it this way.
corvette thumbnail
Originally posted by: jasmine_triv

I guess they got what they wanted in the end, although I don't think they wanted it this way.

"Divine intervention" is what comes to my mind.....maybe India will take note of this at least.......

😑M😑

Connie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Niketa's husband has blamed intense media pressure for his wife's high blood pressure and increased stress level which led to the miscarriage.

Niketa's appeal caught the nation's imagination after she sought to terminate her 25-week-old foetus, after medical reports that her child would be born with a complete congenital heart blockage and malpositioned arteries.

The report had claimed that the child would have required a pacemaker soon after birth. The couple had approached the court as the Pregnancy Act of 71 prevented termination of pregnancy after 20 weeks. 

On August 4, the court turned down Mehtas plea. The court had also said that medical evidence did not suggest that the foetus needed to be aborted.

Thanks for the article......indeed they suffered a lot. Well I don't think nature took it's course in this one but it's their decision after all.