Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HalleNJ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 15 years ago
very difficult to choose.......Alka, Shreya, Chitra, Sujatha and now Chinmai have beautiful and lovely voices  ( they sound feminine) which add sweetness to melodious songs.....back to the question......I don't think  I'm qualified to judge them....but I think shreya is good at solo songs where as alka is superb at duet songs......her voice blends perfectly with udit, sonu nigaam, shankar mahadevan, etc.....

my personal favourite is alka.....there are songs (tunes) which I dislike but many times alka made me listen to it because of her voice.....
Edited by niruba - 15 years ago
Anuradha thumbnail
I dont listen to Alka these days... New singers have over shadowed her.. Shreya, Sunidhi and other new singers have already taken her place.. We cant compare them, but somehow even I would go with Shreya.. Alka sounds a bit shrill while Shreya sounds sweet..
rock&roll thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

IDji u hv a knack of starting controversial topics,i thinkπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜†...gud way of making ppl srespond t posts...no one can stay away from such topics πŸ˜ƒ

I personally like Shreya's voice over Alka's....it has a certain freshness to it ...I also think she has a stronger classical base(her songs in SRGM,mere dholna,chale aao saiyaan) etc...But Alka yagnik is queen in  her genre of songs an totally rules in the romantic numbers..I am surprsied so many ppl hv said that her vouce is shrill in high notes...I think Alka has a sweet,soothing and velvety voice..her voice in raja ko rani se,churake dil mera,baazigar,vaada raha sanam etc are unmatched...she may not sound as gud today,but during her  peak period she was wonderful......in afct,she hasa different voice quality which wld suit certain types of songs(and heroines) better than Shreya and alos vice versa...so they really can't be compared....Alka brought the right touch to the romantic duets of the 90 s making ordinary songs sound very sweet πŸ˜ƒ

basically, a major plus point with boths singers is that both singer  in an original way and do not copy anyone 😊

Edited by rock&roll - 15 years ago
rock&roll thumbnail
Originally posted by: Indradhanush

@ gopalbhai

some how the current gen under rates Alka ji and this mostly has roots in not having listened to Alka enough. I think Alka ruled in play back yet every one gets replaced by some one.

agree with u.....Alkaji seems to be under rated in this thread πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by rock&roll - 15 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: rock&roll

agree with u.....Alkaji seesm to be under rated in this thread πŸ˜ƒ

Shreya is good but I just like Alka better. Of course a lot also depends on what songs they are singing. But it is always good to have new and different voices. Expect Nihira to come in very strong in future too.
rock&roll thumbnail
Originally posted by: Indradhanush

There was a point when a comparison was drawn between Nihira and Shreya but now in retrospect I can say Shreya is far ahead in her genre.

I think Nihira and Shrya are equaly good ..And both of them actualy sing the same type of sings(more or less).........Nihira's voice is excellent and very sweet and powerful at the same time ,but i think Shreya's voce quality is  a li'l better han Nihira..that is where Shreya has a slight edge,i think.....But both are equally talented.....

Some of Nihira's songs

Sathi re(kotwal saab in SRGMP)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2pg5CJcIJ4[/YOUTUBE]

My mom is a big Alka Yagnik fan, and I am not. So we have agreed to disagree on this point. She is good at playback and has had many hit songs in the 90s so there in doubt that she had held her own in the industry.
But I have always not liked the shrillness in her voice.Shreya is more pleasant to listen to. And I like listening to her more classical based numbers as well as the more contemporary sounding ones as well. And I also prefer Sunidhi to Alka, but I might be biased here.
Sidenote: I am happy Niruba mentioned Chinmayi. I love her voice texture myself and find myself listening to Kannathil Muthamittal female version at least once a week despite not knowing what the lyrics mean (well I know a bit having seen the movie).
rock&roll thumbnail
a couple of more of Nihira's  songs

aaj jaane ki zid karo

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v2jxML6jYE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

i would post more but the thread is abt Alka and shreya,so i will stop here πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: rock&roll

a couple of more of Nihira's  songs

aaj jaane ki zid karo

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v2jxML6jYE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

i would post more but the thread is abt Alka and shreya,so i will stop here πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Anita again you think out of the boxes and are  now checking who should succeed these two aging singers, Alka and Shreya.πŸ˜† Excellent choice !
Himani to succeed Sudhini too.
Indradhanush thumbnail
As long as Shreya is there Nihira has a strong competition and vocal capability is some thing which dwindles with age hence if Nihira doesn't get BIG break now she will be detined to oblivion now this might sound harsh but this is MHO, No offense I am her big fan as well.