Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Ever give up on missing children?

Cute_Tulip IF-Veteran Member

General Discussions

Posted: 23 July 2008 at 12:29pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 24 July 2008 at 12:21am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
bunbutt_too IF-Sizzlerz
bunbutt_too
bunbutt_too

Posted: 24 July 2008 at 1:33am | IP Logged

Parzania-II: Boy found, but won't return

24 Jul 2008, 0107 hrs IST,TNN

Muzaffar, now Vivek Vikram Patni. (TOI Photo)

AHMEDABAD: Almost over six years after post-Godhra riots, a Muslim couple found their missing son not only alive, but raised by a Hindu couple. However, the case now looks like a legal battle over custody between the two sets of parents. It has also rekindled hopes of many other parents who lost their children in the riots.

A Metropolitan court on Wednesday dismissed the Muslim couple's plea for custody of their son, after the boy himself refused to go with his real parents.

Mohammed Salim Shaikh and his wife Jaibunnisa along with their two sons had sought refuge in Gulbarg society on the fateful day of February 28, 2002. During the mob attack, 38 persons were killed and 31 went missing. Among them were Shaikh's sister and his two-and-a-half-year-old son, Muzaffar, now Vivek Vikram Patni. The couple lost track of the kid after they gathered for shelter in late MP Ahsan Jafri's house.

On July 14, the Supreme Court-appointed special investigation team (SIT) told the Shaikhs that their son was alive. According to SIT, Muzaffar went missing during the attack, and was found by a constable of the crime branch, who took the boy to his cousin - Vikram and Meena Patni in Saraspur. They raised him as their son. Since then, Muzaffar, now nine, is living with the Patni family, who is in the business of selling fish.

"We found the boy a year and a half ago and informed the SIT who carried out the DNA test last month," said Teesta Setalvad of Citizens for Justice and Peace (CJP)

The DNA sample matched with Shaikh and his wife. After this the couple filed for custody in the metropolitan court. However, when Meena refused custody, the court asked the boy who also refused to go and preferred to stay with Meena.

Aggrieved with the court's decision, Shaikh is now planning to move Gujarat High Court for the custody. "A missing persons' report has been lodged for my son at Meghaninagar police station, and this couple had also assured the police that they would return this kid when police would find the child's real parent. And now the woman is denying, but I will fight till the Supreme Court for Muzaffar," he said. Shaikh has three other children and works in a plastic manufacturing company in Naroda.

The development has rekindled hope for the Modys, a Parsi family which took shelter in Jafri's house and their son Azhar went missing. "Now, we have hope of finding Azzu as well," said Dara Mody, his father. This story had inspired the film Parzania. 

In this case the parents didn't but the toddler certainly did, for no fault of his. A truly gut wrenching and poignant story that will be settled by the courts for the biological parents. A totally horrible conundrum for everyone involved.

Edited by bunbutt_too - 24 July 2008 at 1:51am
corvette IF-Rockerz
corvette
corvette

Posted: 24 July 2008 at 3:06am | IP Logged
First of all, thanks for the posting this topic Anon and so, so so glad for you and for your family that you were found to tell the tale!!!!Clap

In my mind, losing a child (or a child gone missing) is a more enduring hell than having to cope with its loss by way of death.

Death, followed with time, may at least afford some closure, but in Maddy's case, or that of any other similar case, ,the parents (assuming they are genuine) can never really have closure.

I really cant imagine anytrhing more painful than being the parent of a missing child. The unanswered questions, regrets and "what if," and "if only" type of scenarios would be utter hell.

Having said that, I would hope that as a parent I would find somewhere, somehow the strength to enagge my mind and stop at nothing to do my utmost best to get my child back.

It would simply matter too much to just give up hope.

As for the lowly pieces of excrement that do this type of thing - the death penalty would be too kind.

They should be handed over to a bunch of parents to deal with. 

AngryMAngry

corvette IF-Rockerz
corvette
corvette

Posted: 24 July 2008 at 3:17am | IP Logged

Hi BB - thanks to you too for this very interesting but sad article.

Much as i sympathize with the boy's wishes and feelings, it has to be right that he is introduced back into his natural family, who only lost him in very difficult and challenging circumstances, not because they were evil and unloving parents.

However wonderful a job the Hindu family did to look after the boy during his time away from his natural family, however understanding I am of the love and bonding that has clearly occurred, it is so wrong to give that precedence over the natural family's right to have their son back now they haver found him.

With the greatest of respect to the "nurturing" family, the child should be gently introduced back tot he family who having lost him and now found him, must be totally devastated to see the law continues to keep them separated.

AngryMAngry

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top