Sowmya Raoh is the voice behind hit tracks like the title song of Welcome, Nach Baliye from Bunty Aur Bali and many recent melodious songs. We sit down with Sowmya for a special chat to find out more about her opinion on music, her career so far and her upcoming projects.
1. Music- what does it mean to you?
Music has always been an integral part of my life. It's difficult to imagine a life without Music. It's more than Passion. It's a WAY OF LIFE for me. I started singing so young that it was never a conscious decision. And now, it's a means of earning a living, though it never feels like "Work" cos it gives so much pleasure :-)
2. With such a great career graph and having given super hit songs in popular films like Nach Baliye, Guru, and Welcome, what would you say has been your favorite song thus far?
You're being very kind :-) My career graph has been rather slow, but steady. God has been kind to me, and it's been an okay progress in this competitive field, considering that I've a Not so conducive temperament :-P I've been lucky that I've gotten to sing a variety of songs, though few in number. And though I've enjoyed singing most of them, my first Hindi song Aankhon mein raho from Company, Dil hi dil mein from Dum, and my recent Shauq hai from Guru are my favourites. And I honestly can't choose one out of these.
3. If you could sing a classic song from the seventies what song would you choose to sing in your voice and why?
There are way too many, but if I've to name one out of the blue, then I guess it will be Tum jo mil gaye ho from Hanste Zakhm. It's one of the most beautiful compositions ever (Madan Mohan ji), Rafi saab's voice, and Lataji making a guest appearance is the icing :-) Romance Unlimited, so who wouldn't want to sing such a song?
4. According to you which male voice today rules Bollywood? Who is your favorite male playback singer?
I'm a Sonu Niigaam loyalist. All the way :-)
5. Is there an actress you would love to give playback for? (Can be someone you have already given playback for or even someone you haven't given playback yet for).
It would be interesting to see how my voice sounds on Aishwarya, cos a few people have voiced this thought at times.
6. If you woke up one day suddenly and a radio kept on playing the same song nonstop for 24 hours, what song if you had a choice would you want that radio to play?
Aisa lagta hai from Refugee, or Kailash Kher's Saiyan. But I'm sure even then I'd go mad if I'd to listen to One song for 24 hours nonstop..!! It's quite a mind-boggling exercise. Since I don't like anything in excess. Moderation is the key to a well-balanced life.
7. If Sowmya was a musical instrument, what instrument would you be? In other words what instrument do you think your personality resembles the most and why?
Ha ha ha.. It's the first time I'm giving it a thought. I guess it'll have to be the Violin, cos it's so Malleable and Versatile. It has so many shades of emotions. And it needs a good musician to bring out the best in it.
8. Can you tell us a little about your future projects? We know you don't like to divulge too much but your fans are waiting to hear your voice and want to know what's on your plate for the future.
There's a Govinda-Lara Dutta starrer yet to be titled film, and then there's Dhoondhte Reh Jaaoge, Teesri Manzil. I'm also planning an album, but it's in it's initial stages, so can't really say much. I'd rather talk about projects after they materialize and I've something definite to talk about. Need all your wishes. Love you all.