2011 has been a good year for Bollywood with the industry having some major Box Office successes! Six releases have made it into the List of Highest-grossing Bollywood films. Many of these movies saw major worldwide success, notably Ra.One, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Don 2 and Bodyguard. However, the movies that stole the show were the unexpected ones like Delhi Belly, Murder 2 and The Dirty Picture, which were quite commercially successful.
Let us recap the top 10 movies of 2011 according to financial success at the box office.
10. Yamla Pagla Deewana – The multigenerational Deol starrer holds the record of the highest grossing film for the month of January in Bollywood history. Garnering close to Rs. 55 Crore, the film was definitely a hit.
9. The Dirty Picture - The Dirty Picture stands as a welcome exception. Released in December, the film grossed Rs. 50 Crore in its first week at box office. By the end of the second week, the film touched the Rs. 67 Crore mark, becoming the biggest opening ever for a women-oriented film in the history of Indian Cinema.
8. Delhi Belly - The film opened very well at the box office. It collected around 36 Crore in the first week of screening all around India. The film was declared a super hit by the end of its third week. Delhi Belly ended up grossing Rs. 92 Crore worldwide.
7. Mere Brother Ki Dulhan - The Imran-Katrina-Ali Zafar starrer had a good opening with collections in the first day of 7.50 Crore and a good first weekend with 25.50 Crore. It crossed 38 Crore in the first week of its release. By the third week, the movie had managed a total business worth 57.25 Crore and was declared a hit. At the end of its theatrical run, the film grossed 95 Crore worldwide.
6. Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara - The movie was one of the highest box office openers of 2011. Within ten days at box office, the film raked in a whopping Rs. 108 Crore. As of October 2011, its lifetime business stands at Rs. 152 Crore worldwide, surpassing Hrithik's Dhoom 2 and becoming the ninth highest worldwide grosser of all time for a Bollywood film.
5. Singham - Got the second highest opening of the year, raking in a whopping first-week gross collection of Rs. 48 Crore. By the end of its six-week run in theatres, Singham had touched the Rs. 100 Crore mark, becoming the seventh Bollywood film of all time to reach that milestone. The film became Ajay Devgn's biggest commercial success till date.
4. Don 2 - On the first day, the film collected Rs. 15 Crore and by the end of the first week, the film had made over Rs. 75 Crore. In the process it became the third highest opening day grosser. The movie crossed the 100 Crore mark within three weeks (and is still running in theaters). This marked Shah Rukh Khan's second back-to-back 100 Crore-plus film, and he became the second actor to have delivered two 100 Crore-plus films in a single year (Salman Khan being the first to garner the distinction). This film also marked Priyanka Chopra's first 100 Crore-plus film.
3. Ra.One – The sci-fi flick was a big release with close to Rs. 150 Crore riding on it. The film opened to mixed reviews by critics but the box office has a different story to tell. The film had a first-day collection of Rs. 16.63 Crore, setting a new record for the biggest ever Diwali opener and on the next day it's business spiked to Rs. 22.80 Crore, setting another record for the biggest single-day grosser. However, the film's business fell in the subsequent weeks, and by the end of the sixth week, its box office earnings from the Hindi version were Rs. 114 Crore. Upon release, the film became the first 100 Crore-plus film for Shah Rukh Khan, his highest-grossing film till date and Kareena Kapoor's fourth straight 100 Crore-plus film. Thanks to this film, Kareena now equals yesteryear superstar Hema Malini's record of four back-to-back films in the top ten highest-grossing Bollywood films of her time.
2. Ready - The film collected 13 Crore on its first day of business, thus becoming the second highest opening day grosser across India after Dabanng. It holds the record for the highest grossing Bollywood film ever for the month of June. It grossed Rs. 121 Crore. At the time of release, it became Salman Khan's second back-to-back Rs.100 Crore-plus film. After it's theatrical run, the film holds the record for the third highest grossing Bollywood film ever domestically.
1. Bodyguard - Released in August, this flick broke all the opening day box office records and made a whopping Rs. 20.62 Crore, beating the record previously held by Dabangg. Not just this, Bodyguard also broke the record for the highest first-week collection with a gross of Rs. 100 Crore! If anything was left, Bodyguard emerged as the highest grosser ever for the month of August with a net business of Rs. 140 Crore. It means that no other film released in August in Bollywood history made as much money as Bodyguard did. This film marked the third straight 100 crore-plus film for Salman Khan and Kareena Kapoor. It is Bollywood's second highest-grossing film ever, after 2009's 3 Idiots.
There you have it folks, the 10 movies of 2011! Will 2012 also be as lucky for Bollywood as 2011? Well only time can tell.
The first big release of 2012 was Players. The movie was heavily promoted but failed to create any magic at the Box Office and was declared a "Disaster". The movie managed to reach 26 Crore in its second week.
However, financial success in 2012 started looking up with Karan Johars Agneepath which released on 26th January. The movie has successful collected approximately Rs. 92 Crore in the first week of business and crossed the Rs. 100 Crore mark by the end of the second week with gross earnings of Rs. 115 Crore! The movie is officially a superhit!
The next movie to look out for is the next release from K. Jo's camp, Ek Main aur Ekk Tu. The movie had a bit of a disappointing opening day gross of a little over Rs. 5 Crore! But the pace picked up with the moving garnering Rs. 30.75 Crore by the end of Week 1 and adding another Rs. 5 Crore in the second weekend!
This weekend, we have Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya, starring the newlyweds Riteish Deshmukh and Genelia D'Souza, and the Madhavan-Bipasha Basu starrer Jodi Breakers to look forward to! Only time will tell how these two fare at the B.O. challenge!
Do you like this article?
|User Rating||(60 Votes)|
|princeadeel2011, Phrozen, gorav89, safe-n, Leena90, charmingsoni, shivandhni, nehnehneji, Classy_Gal, angeliqra, wassup28, Sunni.L.Arman, ros92-786, aiim, ridhithakur, lordwish, ABCDesiGirl93, deepika_fun, cutegirl94, Bushraa., Nikhi., tamzin43, -Siaa-, renup64, Sumy_luv_KM, ILoveDrama, KaJenroxx, neha fan1, -Gunners-, luvkasu, love4all, Meera1101, mushiroxx, .SilentPrincess, S.H.I.E.L.D., SandCastle., .vrshn., samicute, brinda_ght, Billu-Maamma, |Persephone|, Mariaa.RD, Vishakha_Sakhi, oblivious., -Mayu-, AishMinoz, coolpratz, .Senorita., nidha1983, ...vibha..., harshu.sundas, Echofades, sallu_lover, BrashCandy, ..Roopal.., minuu, -Preeti-, -Swetha-|
Popular Search Terms: don 2 box office collection, singham box office collection till date, murder 2 box office collection, don 2 box office collection till date, murder 2 box office collection till date, yamla pagla deewana box office collection till date, bodyguard box office collection, murder 2 total collection, box office collection of bodyguard, singam box office collection 2011, murder 2 total box office collection, murder 2 collection, zindagi na milegi dobara box office collection, bodyguard box office collection till date, singham 2011 box office collection
Amit Desai, Salman Khan's lawyer asks for three more weeks! 1
Her debut film "Dil Dhadakne Do" saw her essay the role of a chic and ...