Kochi, April 3 (IANS) In its first week, Dileep starrer 'Mulla', directed by Lal Jose, has raced ahead of 'Cycle' to bag the top spot. This does not mean that 'Mulla' is a better film than 'Cycle'. But, then, that's what star power is all about.
The top five Malayalam films are:
1. 'Mulla' - Lal Jose's new film, featuring his favourite star Dileep and new heroine Meera Nandan, is an effort to project the actor as an angry young man. It is a downer from the critics' point of view, but it is too early to gauge the public reception.
2. 'Cycle' - The contemporary film about youngsters, starring Vineeth Srinivasan and Vinu Mohan, is still riding ahead.
3. 'Malabar Wedding' - This is a refreshing, small film about the custom of playing pranks at weddings, particularly in the Malabar region, starring Indrajith and Gopika. Directors Rajesh and Faisal, who have assisted Priyadarshan, are good in their maiden effort.
4. 'Katha Parayumbol' - Debutant director M. Mohanan may not have got his due for this film's success. Sreenivasan, who has scripted as well as acted in the movie, is hogging the limelight.
5. 'Roudram' - Mammootty in a police role is the sweetest dream for his fans. Director Renji Panicker cashes in on this craze and makes merry.