Sanjay Dutt said Thursday he is "shattered" by the Supreme Court verdict sentencing him to five years in prison in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case. He said he will complete all his pending films, and that he ought to be strong in these trying times for his family and children.
"I have already suffered for 20 years and been in jail for 18 months. If they want me to suffer more I have to be strong. I am heart broken because today along with me, my three children and my wife and my family will undergo the punishment," Sanjay said in a statement.
Sanjay, who has been asked to surrender within four weeks and has projects estimated at Rs.100 crore riding on him, added: "I have always respected the judicial system and will continue to do so, even with tears in my eyes. I am going to complete all my films and won't let anyone down. I am overwhelmed by the support of my fans the industry people, the media and all the well wishers."
Sanjay is currently married to Manyata, with whom he entered wedlock in 2008. She is his third wife. The actor has two children with Manyata - twins Shahraan and Iqra - and elder daughter Trishala from his first wife Richa Sharma.
The actor, who was convicted under the Arms Act for illegally possessing weapons, had been awarded six years imprisonment by the TADA (Terrorists and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act) court. However, the apex court reduced the sentence from six years to five years. This effectively means that Dutt will be in jail for three years and six months as he has already undergone 18 months imprisonment.
The apex court Thursday upheld Sanjay's conviction under the Arms Act in the terror attack for illegal possession of a 9 mm pistol and an AK-56 rifle.
The Supreme Court also upheld the death sentence of Yakub Abdul Razak Memon in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case and commuted the death sentence of 10 others in relation with the blasts, in which a series of 13 car bomb blasts ripped across Mumbai.
Several actors and filmmakers from the Hindi movie industry came out on social networking sites to share how "good-hearted" the 53-year-old, Bollywood's much-loved "Munna Bhai" really is.
"I know in my heart that I have always been a good human being, respected the system and always been loyal to my country. My family is very emotional right now and I have to be strong for them. I am shattered and in emotional distress. I am sorry I can't come down and meet you all. God is great and he will guide me through this," Sanjay added.
Do you like this article?
|Posted by:||India-Forums.com Staff|
|User Rating||(7 Votes)|
|Jayshree, neelamra, ninag, sherni_ashish, IndraDaga, christiandior., Silent.Dreamer|
What suffering are you talking about in alst 20 years. You were free makign merry ; got re married , had kids had fun...and now you want to be pardoned for all crimes you did which resulted in loss of family for all others...you deserved to be punishes...its sad that it is coming so late...
Pl. give me the answer of my 1 question. R u ppl knew the real story? How many r more than 20yrs old?
Whatever Sanjay Dutt is today, is only n only because, whatever his father was done for him after this bomb blasts case. He saw what was Mr.Sunil Dutt has face terribly. Sanjay Dutt is not at all INNOCENT. Whatever story he tell today is not changing the fact what he has done in past. He was not a kid at that time. He was very well aware about his deeds.
There is no sympathy for him or anyone, whoever is our country's enemy. Our people's enemy. Jai Hind.
Request you all don't talk rubbish about our law. If he is in US or other country, to soch lo iska kya hua hota. Now he is trying to gather sympathy to avoid prison for next 3 yrs.
i hope law will find a way to give back the 20 years of his life...according to law he shud get 5 yr imprisonment...then who will account for the suffering he went thru for 20 long years...
Wishing Sanjay Dutt immense strength and love because that is what he will need. Hope he remains the same amazing Sanjay Dutt aftter he completes his sentence. Whether it is justified or not is not in our hands, but he needs support and love and that all of us can give.
Mr Dutt, I have always been a fan of your acting and respect you as an actor! But if you are indeed guilty of the said charges, then the shame is in the fact that it took this long to get a conclusive verdict!
Personally, because I like you, I am sorry to see you go to prison! But the law is the law for everyone sir!
Hope you get the strength to face this difficult time in your life and I hope for all the best for you and your family!
Edited on:21 March 2013 at 9:08pm
Stupidest thing I've ever heard. K yeah if he broke the law then he should be punished. Yay for punishing a crime and showing that everyone is equal and that even rich people get punished. Except it's a joke when you waste 20 years to punish the guy.
Edited on:21 March 2013 at 6:00pm
I don't know whether Dutt was really involved in the terrorist attacks or not, I do know that he has always been an extremely kind hearted actor throughout his time in the Film industry.
Nevertheless, if he has done the crime, he has to pay for it. But if he hasn't, then it's just not acceptable to frame such a legendary actor for a heinous crime.
I am afraid about what exactly is the position and on goings in the government. Sigh.
M very sad with this news.. Ur a very nyc guy n I'm sure u haven't done anything against any1... My prayers r 4u n ur family!!! :( God bless u...
Rajkumar Hirani is the only director to hold a record of only ...
Rajkumar Hirani shares a very special bond with Sanajy Dutt. 1