Women-centric themes added power to the Bollywood platter this year and the leading ladies impressed with their boldness and intense acting. Actresses like Vidya Balan, Priyanka Chopra and Katrina Kaif gave the industry's menfolk a run for their money.
IANS lists the top 10 actresses who swept the audience away in 2011:
1. Vidya Balan: She started the year with a stellar performance as a deglamorised, strong-willed simpleton in the real-life inspired 'No One Killed Jessica', and featured in cameos in 'Thank You', 'Dum Maaro Dum' and Malayalam film 'Urumi'. But for the 33-year-old 'bombaat' actress, 2011 ended with a bang with her sizzling portrayal of a dancing star, Silk, in 'The Dirty Picture'. Vidya explored new realms to her acting potential, and emerged as a winner, overshadowing other commercially hit Bollywood divas.
2. Kareena Kapoor: Two films and both hits! Even after over a decade, Kareena stood out among her contemporaries with the record-breaker 'Bodyguard' opposite Salman Khan, and Shah Rukh Khan's mega-production 'Ra.One'. She also proved her dancing mettle once again with 'Chammak challo', which went on to be a huge chartbuster.
3. Priyanka Chopra: After an average 2010, Priyanka Chopra sprang back into action by carrying out seven different looks in Vishal Bharadwaj's critically-acclaimed '7 Khoon Maaf'. In the character of a serial spouse-killer, Sussanna, the actress has displayed why she is a National Award winner at such a young age. She will round up the year as Shah Rukh Khan's 'junglee billi' in the much-awaited 'Don 2: The King Is Back'.
4. Katrina Kaif: As a free-spirited, independent girl in the multi-starrer 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara', as a sexy item girl in 'Bodyguard' or as the effervescent Dimple Dixit in 'Mere Brother Ki Dulhan', this Britain-born girl has been proving her range with every passing year.
5. Kalki Koechlin : With four diverse films -- 'Shaitan', 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara', 'That Girl in Yellow Boots' and 'My Friend Pinto' - Kalki has been on a roll this year! Her easy and fluid portrayal of a mentally disturbed girl, a nagging girlfriend, a girl in search of her father, and a lost girl abandoned by her boyfriend, have reassured cine-buffs of her capacity as a new age, commercially-viable actress, who dares to choose different roles.
6. Kangna Ranaut: Year 2011 saw Kangana in a new avatar. As a bindaas Kanpur girl in 'Tanu Weds Manu', she gave her most desi performance ever. She followed it up with the role of a cop in 'Game(2011)', a supporting act in comedy films 'Double Dhamaal' and 'Rascals', and featured in 'Miley Naa Miley Hum', which went unnoticed. However, Kangana's standing in the industry remains quite unaffected.
7. Rani Mukherjee: Her fans got a treat after two years when Rani returned to the big screen in 'No One Killed Jessica'. As a bold journalist, who gets the public together to demand justice for a cause, Rani delivered an image-breaking performance when she mouthed expletives and smoked a cigarette for the role.
8. Anushka Sharma: There's something that clicks about this Yash Raj Films find, despite average earners like 'Patiala House' and 'Ladies VS Ricky Bahl' in 2011. Anushka's vivaciousness, million-dollar smile and perfect dancing skills have catapulted her into the league of promising leading ladies of tinsel town today.
9. Deepika Padukone: At 25, Deepika has established herself as one of the more popular female stars of Hindi cinema. This year she strengthened her stance, not so much with her performances, but because of the elan with which she carried out the sultry song 'Mit jaaye gum'; as the small town but confident girl in 'Aarakshan'; and as the love interest of John Abraham in 'Desi Boyz'.
10. Mahie Gill: Her films, 'Utt Pataang', 'Not A Love Story' and 'Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster' this year didn't mint enough money at the box office, but her performance, like always, was well noticed. The critically acclaimed actress continues to choose films away from tried-and-tested formulas, and garners appreciation galore.
- Radhika Bhirani
Do you like this article?
|Posted by:||India-Forums.com Staff|
|User Rating||(13 Votes)|
|aksharafan, Nikhi., nitzy_21, charmz517, zoya-shah, abi71, luvkasu, -Yami-, shivani003, coolpratz, -IamAwesome-, Roopal_ArDi, AS..|
There is no doubt at all that like SRK is the king of Bollywood Vidya Balan is the queen
No other actress can act as well as she can . She reminds me of the old classic actresses like the late Meena Kumari
But you have actresses like katrina kaif who doesn't know how to act and kareena who have got this far with her family name and the others I just want to say
Edited on:19 December 2011 at 8:04pm
Vidya and PC are both self-made women and they both are brilliant actresses. Kareen,on ther other hand, is a teribble actress...She just get's movie because of her background, if she was not a Kapoor, she wouldn't even last a year in the film industry.
Without a shadow of a doubt Vidya Balan beats all not only in women-centric themes but her general acting ability. She has been absolutely amazing this year!
I can't believe a flop movie like Mere brother ki dulhan was mentioned on that list in an attempt to praise Kat's acting ability. I also don't think the 'record breaking' Bodyguard deserved a mention either.
Overall this year I'd say PC and Anushka have been pretty good too. Though Vidya Balan definitely tops my list!
Edited on:18 December 2011 at 5:48pm
Kareena at number 2 is ridiculous! How on earth were her movies "women centric" The writer of this article needs to do their research properly A lot of the actresses mentioned didnt really stand out at all during the course of the year. Hmmm. But either way Vidya n PC are the only ones that stand out when it comes to substance and woman power. A lot of the others are over-rated.
Edited on:18 December 2011 at 5:24pm
Cant say anything about the rest of the list but I know Vidya being first was the right pick. I can safely say she is the only bollywood actress that i can actually call an actress because not only is she super talented but in general she is so graceful. I love her personality. Like someone mentioned, she is the modern day Madhuri.
it's vidya all the way.she is just outstanding.she is the madhuri dixit of the present times.extremely talented,beautiful,attractive and with a personality to look up to.she doesn't need a khan or an item song or skin show or some god father to make her a big success.she is a performer and a performer never fails.rani of course is also talented and priyanka is just superb.the rest r just history.go vidya go.
With the Dirty Picture, Vidya has shut up all her critics who said she was BEHENJI and could never be glamorous. Now look...Silk makes the Sheilas and Munnis look like leftover tea. To cap it all, she carries a film on her shoulders nd makes it the biggest hit of the year. As for the rest of this list, only Rani deserves honourable mention. The rest are there because of piggybacking on the popularity of their leading men. Vidya started from TV and did umpteen ads and music videos before bagging Parineeta. She hasn't worked with any of the Khans and yet she has made it. That's a real actress, and it's an insult to her to club her with the likes of Katrina Kaif.
One can keep Katrina's pic as a DISPLAY PICTURE, but only Vidya's AVI in the signature box, because in avis, you get to see the expressions and not just the face :P
Tellybuzz takes you on a voyage of some of your favourite TV stars ...
TellyBuzz brings you some great wishes for Sachin Tendulkar from the ... 11
Gowns, bright hues and dazzling beauty ruled the pinkish purple carpet ... 3
Bringing back the old world charm of the 'Bombay' of the 1960s in ...